HybridZ

77" l28 igntion relay

Hi all. im swapping an 77" l28e into my 73" and have everything but an igntion relay, andi can't find one anywhere. Is there a way to wire this up without using an ignition relay or do i even need it. Is there be existing support already in my 240z that i can wire to and bypass this relay. anyone who has experience with this swap or who has some good advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a 72 240z that I recently replace the original dizzy with a dizzy from a 83 280zx that I got at a u-pick yard yard for $60. I took it all apart and cleaned it up, it was in great shape except for one thing. I had to make a new bearing for the breaker plate assembly, the plastic cage that holds the three ball bearings is commonly busted. I used the 4-pin HEI ignition control module. I got two modules from the local auto parts store, a Standard for $22 and a Pertronix D2000 for $46. So far I am not sure if there is much difference in performance between the two, I need to make a series of timed runs with each. It is very simple to change them out.

Overall I am very happy with the 280zx dizzy/HEI combination. It makes a great difference in acceleration and the engine runs smoothly up to 6,000 rpm. That is as far as I have taken it so far. Attached is a drawing with notes. Be sure you replace the coil with one that has a low resistance. I am using a Pertronix Flamethrower III coil.

I did a lot of research before making this change and some of the best info I found was on Chevy hot rod sites that discussed replacing points with an HEI distributor. I also have a 1970 Toyota FJ55 Land Cruiser which has an engine that is a metric version of the Chevy 250 straight six. It makes a very big difference putting in the HEI distributor.

Distributor conversion drawin....pdf