HybridZ

New here, opinions on Twin turbo

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all,

I'm another newbie who just stumbled onto this site. I've wanted to do this swap since I got my first car when I was 16, a cherry 78 280Z with 66,000 original miles. Sadly, I don't have that wonderful car anymore, but I'll always miss it. What I do have now is an 85 mustang with a custom built twin-turbo 302 in it. What I'm getting from this list is that besides the obvious motor/tranny mount issues, that the swap is pretty straight forward. I'm wondering if I could get my twin-turbo motor into a 240Z. My question is, if the headers were upside down, like they are on my twin-turbo car, would they clear the steering shaft? What other little clearance issues should I look out for? Also, how strong is the chassis of the Z? What would it take to make it handle 600Hp without twisting up the frame and body? Thanks.

Rob

Guest Anonymous

At that level of HP I'd try to tie in all major parts of the chassis with a 10 point cage and a frame rail connector from the front to back. That way it'll probably handle it just fine, theres a been a Z or so recently with over than much HP and I guess its still driving down the road.

Please do send us pictures if you decide to do that, theres a growing interest in Turbo V8's here by several people, so any pictures and documenting the highs and lows would be really appreciated.

Good Luck,

Lone

Heck, show us pics of it in the Mustang icon_smile.gif I'd expect that it would fit depending on how the downpipes from the turbos run to the back. If you can post some pics or send them out to some of us we can probably give you a better idea as to how well it will fit including some measurements. I've got an 88 Mustang so we ought to be able to compare pretty easily...

Guest Anonymous

All I have are 3 early pics of when I was still putting the motor together, before it was running. Some little things have changed since then, and the engine bay has been cleaned up considerably. I have no picture hosting service though, so will someone post them if I email them to you? Email me if you will do this, and I'll send you the pics.