HybridZ

Vacuum Lines

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, retarded question i know but we all start learning somewhere. I got the chance to get this 351. Well its fresh rebuild (watched it be done icon_wink.gif ) and runs like a champ. Fresh trans and everything but the problem is its in this ford econoline van (no thats not entirely the problem, at least i can haul other z parts in that!) but the guy who did it put the old manifold back on it and there are alot of vacuum lines that the vacuum gremlins created. I wasn't there for disassembly or we'd have taken photos or something. Does anyone know where i might be able to get a vacuum diagram of the manifold for a 79 ford econoline? If so great cuz then i can pay the guy, empty out the back of this thing and pull it on home icon_smile.gif I've tried with little avail and there just seem to be alotof lines that don't have any vacuum one way or another.. icon_sad.gif Some ford engines run great forever.. but VACUUM LINES BLOW!!!

Vacuum Lines are something the aftermarket manuals seem to steer away from like the plague; I dont know why they, 9 out of 10 times, wont give any vacuum diagrams...but that's the way it usually plays out.

In order to get a good vacuum diagram of your engine you will usually have to buy a Factory Service Manual for that year/application. Try B&N or any book store for that matter & look in all the manuals that have ford V8's...not just your type Van Manual.

Sometimes a truck manual will have more info (even on the engine) than a car manual will w/that same driveline.

Dont leave out your local Library; I once checked out a local library & to my surprise I found a book soley written on Vacuum Lines for all makes/models past 75 to present; I was totally shocked.

Keep looking & dont give up; manuals w/vacuum lines diagrams are like needles in a haystack...you know they're there, somewhere-you're just not exactly sure which haystack you'll find them in.

Dont forget the 2nd Hand Bookstores..I've found some good manuals in those stores as well.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Kevin Shasteen ]

IF you still have access to the van, look under the hood for a decal with the vac hose diagram. I used to have a '80 Ford E-250, and I recall that helpful goodie. Seems like every time you did anything under the hoods ( there are 2, one insdie the cab ), you'd knock something else loose.... changing spark plugs was a nightmare.... I also remember the oil dipstick was like 4 ft long..... we used to joke it was for checking the differential..:-P

Guest Anonymous

Haha, you want to see Ford at its vacuum hose worst? T-birds... Try a complete array of vacuum operated doors. I kid you not, on my 67 Tbird, the HVAC controls were just a manifold (main vacuum sorce and branches for each function) and diverted vacuum to open heater doors etc. If the hose got old, you could spend your life looking for the vacuum leak. To top it off, all of the hide-away headlights were vacuum operated through some switches and what not. I'm sure when it was new, the car was quiet as a tomb, but man, talk about the wrong approach to some simple problems. (Heater control cables work almost indefinitely..).

It was a nice cruiser, but an unpopular (yet) year (1967) of Tbird. The sequential taillights were like the cougar. To those that have never seen it, it was a box with a motor that turned some metal disks that acted as cams on a microswitch. You turn the signal on, the motor turns on and drives the cam. Luckily I was able to find a real simple solution, a company made a simple little box that replaced it all with an electronic version of the same thing.

In some cases "they don't make like that any more" can be a good thing. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Quote from Loneriders post:"To those that have never seen it, it was a box with a motor that turned some metal disks "

Lone, for a second there I thought you were describing the T-Bird icon_biggrin.gif

I am just kidding of course. As A matter of fact my second car was a 1979 T-bird. It had the 351m/400 in it. That motor + a slipping tranny made for some impressive burn outs.

Later, David

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, my 67 had a 390 in it with a C6 and obviously a 9" with highway gears. Thinking back on what I sold it for, I should have kept the C6 and rear and junked the rest. Oh well, the guy finished my restoration on it, looks ok for a budget restoration.

Likewise, floored from a dead stop would lay down some pretty impressive rubber for a big old barge of a car. icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Mmmmmm i'm waiting to see what this 351Windsor and C6 will do. My friend had the van with the old 351 in it and found a c6 in the backyard. he rebuilt them and slapped them in the van. THis thing jumps when put in gear.. i cant wait to see what it does on the street! icon_smile.gif