HybridZ

Using a used cam

Ben's Z

My P90A cam is pitted and cannot be used during me rebuild. Users have chimed in on here offering used cams for sale. Do I need their lash pads or can I use mine if they are good? If I switch to a non hydraulic set up using the Time Sert method do I need different lash pads, springs rocker arms, etc., etc. because all the parts are different from a hydraulic set up? Blast me with all the info you can.

Some say that you cannot mix rockers and cam lobes once they have established a wear pattern and that you should have the rockers resurfaced. Others say they have not worried about it and didn't have an issue. I've always resurfaced the rockers as it's not all that much money and the alternative if a lobe fails is to pull the head and replace the cam which is more expensive and time consuming.

Lash pads are selected in order to get a proper wipe pattern. More than likely you'll need a different size than what you currently have.

I don't see why you would need to replace springs unless you were going to a much more aggressive cam and the current springs were inadequate.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if the valve springs were different for the hydraulic head versus the non...

Some say that you cannot mix rockers and cam lobes once they have established a wear pattern and that you should have the rockers resurfaced. Others say they have not worried about it and didn't have an issue. I've always resurfaced the rockers as it's not all that much money and the alternative if a lobe fails is to pull the head and replace the cam which is more expensive and time consuming.

Lash pads are selected in order to get a proper wipe pattern. More than likely you'll need a different size than what you currently have.

I don't see why you would need to replace springs unless you were going to a much more aggressive cam and the current springs were inadequate.