HybridZ

Thrust Bearing Failure (Expensive Lesson)

I just built this motor, and yes I measured the end play, and it was within limits. My First mistake was when bolting the engine and trans togather, things didn't quite fit like they were supposed too, so I tried to seat the torque converter in the transmission, It seemed to be well seated, so I proceeded to bolt it togather. Well at that time I heard the torque converter finally pop into place. I didn't think much about it, The motor ran great, for about 5 hours than started knocking. It never occured to me that "forceing" the trans to the engine would move the crank foward. The motor and trans (700R4) were out of an 88 truck.

My questions are, What can I safely reuse? Is there any way to repair the block/crank? Has anyone else ran into this problem? Yes I feel like an Idiot, I just thought I would share my learning experience.

post-1039-043207300 1337594568_thumb.jpgpost-1039-080175500 1337594588_thumb.jpgpost-1039-072351800 1337594632_thumb.jpgpost-1039-080175500 1337594588_thumb.jpg

post-1039-092945300 1337594667_thumb.jpg

Looks like the block will be OK with a line hone and good cleaning. It's hard to say about the crank without seeing it, but odds are it will cost more to repair than finding another crank. Everything needs a good cleaning, a lot of debris went thru the motor.

Tip: Lay a straightedge across the back of the block, and measure forward to the crank flange. Seat the convertor, then lay the straightedge across the mounting surface on the convertor and measure to the top of the bellhousing. You should be able to tell the convertor is fully seated, or not.

Drop the trans pan and check for debris, hate to say it but you may have damage in the trans.

Good Luck!

jt

It might just buy a new crank and block rather than deal with machining services in San Diego, last time it cost me $900 to rebuild a set of heads. Anyone know of a decent machine shop that doesnt cost an arm and leg? Thanks for the tip JT1.

Edited by jnewby