HybridZ

Ford Early and Late, full of surprises... :)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I thought I'd give a little update on the 64 fairlane/ranchero my brother has that we're putting in the late crate roller motor in. Heres a few things there were surprises:

1) As mentioned before, the imbalance early to late 28oz and later 50 oz offset. Ford wanted 400.00 for a 28oz large diameter flywheel. So what did we end up doing? Why adapting to a T-5, much easier and he gets overdrive with a 3.50 8" rear end, it should scoot ok. That brings some new problems.

2) 2 ways to do the clutch, either cable with a special adapter $$ to work with the fairlanes pushrod style clutch. Or.... Use a early fork, throwout bearing and pivot the clutch on the other side ( the cable clutch pivots opposite the cable, the early style moves the pivot to the same size as the clutch pushrod from the bellcrank). So, we decide to go T5 bellhousing and early fork and a 1" block at the fulcrum that moves the fulcrum point 1" closer since the bellhousing is 1" thicker. 40.00 for the fulcrum pivot block extender, $$ for the early fork and now.. We're in business or are we....

3) The new roller motor has no casting for the clutch bellcrank pivot like the early motor does... Ok what now... Why of course, buy this special adapter to mount the ball on the engine another 40.00 thank you. HD mustang clutch, pressure plate and throw out 200.00 bucks. not to bad.

4) Replace water pump with not serpentine style, using a special aluminum ford pump and special dampener. $$ later, things are hooked up on the front of the engine. Special gear for the distributor for the roller cam. He picked up a Duraspark and is using a MSD box.

5) Driveshaft, oddly enough, it looks as if we'll be able to just use the late (91) mustang yoke on the ranchero driveline as the mustang yoke is about an inch shorter than the original 4 speed ranchero which corresponds to the length difference in the T5, it being an inch longer. Crossmember, sacto mustang has one we ordered that 'might' fit, but one guy say's it wouldn't and returned one, we'll probably need to tweak it a bit, but why build from scratch when you can modify an existing unit another 139.99 (I would have made it from scratch, but my bro's funny that way, hey its his wallet). The shifter will supposedly hit the hole just fine. The T5 is a 89 that has been beefed with steel front retainer and it has a hurst shifter, for the bellhousing, tranny, shifter and driveline 800.00.

6) We have a carter fuel pump that we'll be putting on since the roller motor doesn't have a fuel pump boss on the timing cover (we could use the old one, but decided against it).

7) A real biggie. The car was marginally cooled and with a 345hp aluminum headed motor, it wasn't going to cut it. He orders the only one that is available as a 'bolt in' from BeCool for like nearly 600.00 bucks.. (no a griffin won't do, it uses top and bottom tanks and its very narrow). Well the said 'bolt in' radiator required that I cut out a strip 1 3/4" from the radiator support on the bottom so the bottom tank can clear the support as it sticks forward a .5" or so. I fired up the grinder with a cut off wheel and have at it. It then bolts on, but is a funny unit, its got like a box that sticks off the top tank backwards that has the radiator cap on it. This unit is no 'bolt on' is way overpriced, but if it works I guess its what has to happen.

Well thats about the end of the surprises for now, but this early to late Ford stuff (chevy's no better to be fair, but has a few less issues IMHO) takes some serious fanagling to get it all ironed out. It'll be great once its done, but man these little surprises cost bank as nearly all specialty manufacturers that makes these little brackets and crossmembers etc and that means it ain't all the cheap.

Moral of the story? Use all the late stuff and don't mix and match unless you have to, you'll thank yourself and your wallet I promise you.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Dang Lone! That shoulda been an easy install!

Hmmmm, you shoulda consulted a FORD guy! Well not me, I don't know poop, but heell, If I can put a ford into a datsun, I can put a ford into a ford! Maybe, don't hold me to it. Thou I did take my '67 mustang from an auto to a 4 speed. Awwwww what am I talking about. Ford sucks! :D

Good luck bro!

ps: Put AC on that thing too! Freaking AIRY-ZONA! Just to make things mor complicated!

Guest Anonymous

Its got one of those underdash style they used in early mustang, and let me tell ya, when its on full cool, you blow frost out of your mouth, I kid you not.. :D Thats the second one of those units I've see thats really cold, IMHO they have to be one of the best early OEM A/C's going (just not for us, since theres not really a 'underdash' on the z. smile.gif ).

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Heres a few photo's, photo one is of the fulcrum pivot block that we mounted on the stock T5 bellhousing. It required drilling two holes and cutting off a small section of the bellhousing. All in all, it works.. The second picture is the reason this is all happening, the new heart, looks pretty good.

fulcrumblock.JPG

rollermotor.JPG

Regards,

Lone