HybridZ

Ranchero Rollermotor is Alive...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well after a bunch of hassles, the Ranchero/Roller motor is finally complete. He was having trouble getting it to run, it ran terrible, had no power. I look it up, and Ford changed the firing order on the HO (roller motors and explorer's) motors to 351w specs.

So after changing that, bammo it starts and I have to tell you, it sounds mean as hell. Its got a nice lope to it, wish I was there in person, but over the phone it sounds damn nice.

One problem, apparently Ford put some sort of exhaust passage through the heads, he thought his exhaust donut was leaking, it turns out exhaust is blowing out the big bolt holes at the back of the GT40 aluminum heads (on the back edge of the head where you'd mount accessories if it were facing forward, anyone know whats up with that?

All in all, I know Jon is running one, but for just under 3k (plus all the extra stuff to complete the motor (i.e. accesory drive, distributor, etc etc) that 345hp/302 would make a damned nice Z motor for the Ford guy. Am I ready to change over, ummm, no, they're design is still overly complicated IMHO (need evidence, look at the front timing chain cover), I'll stick with my brain dead easy Chevy but thats a personal opinion, I love fast cars and don't car what maker made the engine, ask me to work on it though and I'll have a definite preference.

Thanks for the help while I was trying to get it put together for him, its been quite a ordeal for him due to his still pretty bad limp and loss of endurance due to that accident he narrowly escaped death from.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: If anyone suggests a BeCool radiator for a Ranchero put your foot way up they're A$$, BeCool says it fits, but never bothered to try it in a ranchero, it leaves NO room for a fan. Oh yeah, it was a steal at $600 and required notching the radiator support to fit its oversized and badly positioned bottom tanks. Just say no to BeCool, or friends don't let friends use BeCool... :D I know someone may be running one in a Z and cool if it fits, but in this case, they totally sucked.

Guest Anonymous

That exhaust "leak" is from the old Thermactor porting, I believe. (Without a pic, it's hard to say for certain). Just stick a bolt in it to close it off. Use anti-sieze.

Guest Anonymous

Lone, those holes are for the smog crap. Get a big ass hex head plug with some permatex and just screw it in like a pipe plug (make sure the plug is long enough). I should'a mentioned that. malebitchslap.gif

Dang dude! Great job. You guys are gonna have some fun now! 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

Oh yeah, it'll make more than 345 easy. That's with all the stock 5.0 FI stuff. Put a carb and high-rise on it and watch it go! (but don't over carb, IMO) ;)

Jon