HybridZ

experience and help needed

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

There is no adapter that I'm aware of to mate the datsun tranny to the sbf, but the t-5 works fine.

I used a Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold (it seems pretty tall) and a Demon carb. I have to use a 3" tall Drop Base airfilter to fit under the hood.

There are some well documented Fords here (mine's not) but enough to give you a good idea of what to do and options you have. Also, many of the same changes you make for a sbc you'll also do for the ford.

Welcome and Good Luck!

Jon

Guest Anonymous

I love a ford v8, but don't know exactly how to go about this swap. I don't care for crossbreeding often but this seems like a natural to me. I would like to do a roller engine with about a 600cfm vac. sec. a high rise dual intake(is there height restrictions?) shorty style headers, and don't really know about the tranny. I like the way my 5spd. feels but would it hold up? Is there a adapter? How about a t-5? I have built several hoped up fords but never done all of the switching. I have a 78 280z F.I, 5spd. My goal is a very modest 275hp that drives well and better mid range and top end rather than hole shots. I don't intend to to any drag racing. Sorry so long any help welcome.

Guest scca

the EFI should be considered as its relatively easy to do and runs fabulous......

myself, Dan and Firebern all have 302 EFI setups.

especially considering you ahve a FI setup already teh fuel lines are already in it, real straighforward swap.

i have tons of pics online as well

currently doing car #2

Guest Anonymous

(Please tell me if I am missing anything)

'75 280Z. As I understand it, with the Ford swap you need to fab the mounts for the engine, chisel of the transmission mounts and mount your own. Is there an adapter for the driveline or do I need to cut and weld? What about clearing the tunnel inside for the shifter? How would I adapt my existing clutch? Exhaust? Where would you mount the ECU?

Guest Anonymous

Timber, I'm not sure about a '75 but I left my original tranny mounts in and have plenty of clearence. I'm using a TREMEC 5-speed but I think it's really similar to a T-5.

Buy the pinion flange adapter from JTR. Take that and your transmission driveshaft yoke to a driveline shop and they will make you a driveshaft for $100.

You can buy the transmission mount from JTR and use that.

If you have an external shift linkage, then I would assume you'll have to bash or fab clearence for it.

Make a slave cylinder mount and buy a new slave cylinder. Though I've heard some folks are using the stock hydralic system.

Yes you have to fab engine mounts.

Good luck. Jon

Guest scca

ecu fit perfect under the dash on the firewall on the pass side.

will need to remove the stock tranny ears in the tunnel for clearance- this all depends how far back you stick the motor.

i believe mine is the furthest back of all done to date. you can mount it where you want.

driveshaft - the local place will get you a yoke for about $45 and then the cost to make the mustang shaft fit that yoke-- you need the ford donor shaft , clutch is the hardest part after motor mounts