HybridZ

SWAP INFO PLEASE!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just recently purchased an early '71 240Z and I'm seriously wanting to replace the stock L6 with a 302 Ford based engine. I believe this to be a better engine for the Z than a SBC because it is lighter and physically smaller. I am somewhat biased, as well, for I have built 3 late model fox chassis Mustangs and have truly fallen in love with small-block Ford based stroker engines. My question(s) is this: Does anyone know of a company that makes a bolt-in package for this type of operation? Does it all have to be fabricated, or are there parts of any sort to make the swap easier? What is my best option for having a durable rear suspension and axle that will hold up to 350+ rwhp? I don't particularly dislike the SBC, but I think a 331 c.i.d. stroker with a tremec trans would be an awesome combo for one of the best looking cars ever made. What do ya'll think?

Guest Anonymous

I run a chevy and I have to admit you may be right at least in the sense that its a better balanced package. Physically smaller, ummm, well width definitely , not length though, the fords slightly longer (long front timing cover and the dist drive on it, not in the block like SBC). No debating the weight though, the fords much lighter. Either way makes a great performing car that I can tell you. Good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Check out member "Alsil" for his mounts.To my knowledge, no one is commercially producing Ford conversion pieces. A few of the members have sucessfully completed the ford swap . Do some rresearch on this site and make contact with the members with this swap for information. Hang in there.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I might try to fabricate some of my own mounts, though, it would certainly be easier if I can at least get a template of some sort. I'll try alsil and see what I can find out. Anyone know about the rear end and diff? I can't imagine it being too strong, but as I'm inexperienced with these cars I could be mistaken. Is there a stronger option available? Maybe something from a later 280Z or 300ZX?