HybridZ

Yet another header question

Well, the swap is rapidly approaching, and I have a serious problem... Headers. The clutch went out on my stock 81 280ZX (na) on the way to work this morning, and my donor truck will be here friday, so the swap will start this weekend. My problem is I have a $500 budget for the exhaust and driveshaft and other incidentals, and i can't afford $300+ for headers alone. Does anyone know of a pair of relatively inexpensive (under $150) headers that will clear the power steering gearbox on my 81? It's parallelogram, not rack and pinion. Would it be acceptable for the exhaust shop to modify the long tubes that are on the truck now? Or should i just hit the boneyard for some stock manifolds and have them machined to fit tighter? This is the only hitch in my plan so far. I was originally gonna go with the cheapo block huggers from summit ($79) and wrap them, but according to the sales people at summit, they hit the motor mounts on both sides. They won't even fit a stock application! Since this is a ZX, it will be a Scarab type mount... Thanks for any and all input.

HybridZ's Rule!

Bill

I have done a little research lately, and have come to the conclusion that you may as well run stock or the rams horn factory manifolds. Its seems that block hugers are only marginally better that stock and not really worth the extra "ping".

Douglas

Well, I just got the flowtech's from autozone. The price was very reasonable, 79.19 tax and all. I Just hope they fit! The tubes are kinda long, and they are listed for chevy trucks and blazer, but I think they just might work with my setup, as long as they are tight enough to the block. They have a good return policy and are right across the street if they don't... Thanks for all the input!

Bill