HybridZ

5.0L into 280zx...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone know of someone who's put a SBF into the zx chassis? I know the SBC runs into problems with the steering system and the headers desiring the same space. sour.gif Was wondering if the 5.0 is smaller and able to avoid this problem. So, anyone know someone that's done this type of swap? :confused:

Guest Muscle Z

hi everyone.

me being a newbie to the board, as well as being a newbie to the v8/Z conversion, I would really appriciate an in depth response to this question to aid me when I decide to undertake the project.

I dont think anyone here has done the ford into zx swap. Looks like we are going to be looking at you two for the answers. ;)

I think that the ford engine is shorter overall then the chevy but is actually larger in lenght and mabye width ( cant find info right now, Just woke up, Hate mornings). I think there are three different types of steering on the zx as well. Manual and power rack and another form of power steering. The oil pan could be a challange as well. If you look at some of the posts buy guys with the sbf in the s30 chasssis you will note that they went to a lot of effort to get the engine behind the front subframe. You might not be able to do this with the zx as there is not as much room there. I dont think headers will be a huge issiue as long as you settle for block huggers or a form of stock set up (probably not the mustangs). Engine mounts will be a one off.

Have a look at Alsil,s engine mounts for the s30. (search under his name, alsil). This should give you a good idea whats involved.

There is always a way to do something when theres a will. You will have to do a lot of the thinking and leg work one this one yourselves. I think it will be a cool swap. The zx doesnt need any more weight and with ali heads and mabye a stroker crank it will be one quick machine.

Cheers

Douglas

Guest nafario

I've been reading and researching info about

280 zx models for months at this sight. My endeavour is to install a SBF. The chevy peeps have done the swap.I'm waiting for warm weather to do a trial installation of my 5.0-t5 combo,

into an 1982 280 zx, I can't wait!

smile.gif