HybridZ

Ford 302 Vs. Z steering/suspension?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Here's my story; I'm stuffing a 302 into a Triumph Spitfire. Thanks to this forum, I've settled on a 280Z R200 as the rear end of choice. Now I'm wondering what else I can swap off a Z, maybe buy a whole parts car! Because of the front sump configuration of the 302/5.0 I was originally planning on a Mustang2 front end, but I'm wondering how well a Z suspension/steering might work. Couple questions:

1. How well does a front sump 302/5.0 work with a stock Z steering/suspension?

2. Do you have to convert to rear sump? or play wierd games with engine position? or modify the suspension/steering?

3. Can the 302/5.0 be adapted to the Z transmission, or is it better to use a T5 or other Ford tranny?

4. Any other advice?

Thanks all

I put a Ford Pinto 2.8L V6, 4 spd in a '72 Spitfire about 10 years ago. It took an extra u-joint in the steering column, but everything else was stock. A 302 would put you in league with Carroll Shelby.

The spitfire already has a decent rack & pinion steering - actually it was a pretty advanced car in 1962. (full independent suspension, disk brakes, 62 HP tongue.gif ...)Don't know where the steering column will interfere on a 90 deg V8.

The Spitfire frame is very narrow where the front suspension locates the upper A-arms. If you stick with the Spitfire front suspension, the exhaust head pipes pipes will have to go over and outside the frame rails, Due to the double wishbone shape of the frame rails there isn't much room down the middle for a transmission, driveshaft, and exhaust. Unfortunately, there are outrigger supports from the rails to the door sills that eat up most of your ground clearance.

Good idea to consider the Pinto/Mustang II front suspension, I'd stick with the Ford rack. Once you have done that up front - and changed to a Datsun IRS - I would look at statrting with a full custom frame in between. Then drop the Triumph body on it. You could probably sell the un-molested, rolling, rust-free Spitfire frame to someone doing a restoration.

Guest Anonymous

Wow Trevor, thanks for the quick and detailed reply! My current plan is to maintain much of the original Spit frame, but add strengthening rails and a 4-point roll bar to take care of the added weight and torque. We'll see. The problem with the Mustang2 front suspension/steering is that it's designed around that front sump pan, and won't allow me to shove the engine back farther. I'm just wondering if transplanting 280Z steering/suspension components might allow more flexibility.

By the way, do you have photos or design details on that Sptifire conversion you did? I'd love to learn more about it.

I had to use a rear sump pan from a '79 Capri on the 2.8L v6. It fit just like the Triumph engine - over and behind the crossmember. Are you looking at the rear sump FOX-body Mustang or Econoline van 302 oilpan? (for the 302 v8).

Somewhere I have a few photos (analog) and many CAD drawings leftover from that project. I'll let you know what I find.

Here's a funny memory: the Ford 4 speed SROD has the shifter at the end of the transmission tailshaft (much like the T-5). It was about 6 inches behind the (enormous) hole in the Spitfire's trans tunnel (is yours made of cardboard?)I turned the shifter lever around, bent forward, a la Shelby's Cobra.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I recently installed a mustang 5.0 L out of a '94 gt. i didn't have much of a problem with it being front sump, but i had a little more room to play with since its fuel injected. i don't know if a z transmission will bolt up to it, i have a t5. my project is not yet finished, so i don't know if it will effect the handling yet. my ride height went up like a 1/4 of an inch, but i plan on lowering it and doing some other mods before taking it on the street. good luck with your project, and email me if you have more questions.

Guest Anonymous

I recently installed a mustang 5.0 L out of a '94 gt. i didn't have much of a problem with it being front sump, but i had a little more room to play with since its fuel injected. i don't know if a z transmission will bolt up to it, i have a t5. my project is not yet finished, so i don't know if it will effect the handling yet. my ride height went up like a 1/4 of an inch, but i plan on lowering it and doing some other mods before taking it on the street. good luck with your project, and email me if you have more questions.

Guest Anonymous