HybridZ

Painless Wiring Harness - Ignition Relay Needed?

Hello all,

I'm in the process of installing a Painless 10101 12 circuit harness in my 78 280z. The car is running an L28ET controlled by MS1, so all the engine harness/fuel pump relays, EFI relays, etc, are not an issue. I've decided I'm going to wire relays for the headlights, one for high one for low, just to keep power through the switch at a minimum. The fuel pump relay is controlled by the MS, the Horn relay by the Painless Harness.

My questions are related to the ignition switch and ignition relay. Do I need to keep the ignition relay? How have you gone about doing this in the past? Also, does anyone have wiring tips for the ignition switch itself?

What relays have you ended up using/installing/keeping from the stock harness? So far the only one I can think of keeping is the ignition relay.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

There are two stickies that I used. One of them says which wires go to the ignition. Im using the stock ignition, headlight combo switch, blinker switch and hazard switch. It all can be worked in. And btw the relay on the painless harness is for the ignition to power on the harness.

I found this post previously:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/29786-painless-harness-to-z-column-harness-headlight-combo-switch/page__view__findpost__p__236215

The wire colors, however are not consistent with my car, nor are the numbers of wires consistent. My ignition switch only has 4 connections, not 5. Here is what I came up with for my car (78 280Z Ignition Switch)

Datsun Wire | Painless Wire | Purpose

White/Red | 12ga Red - 934 | Battery B+

Black/Yellow| Purple - 919 | Starter Solenoid

Black/White | Pink - 931 | Coil/Ign Power (Will go to MS Relay board, since my coil is driven by MS)

Blue/Red | Org+Brn - 932+933 | Accessory Power

Kaito, I also verified the relay on the harness is indeed for the horn. This is for the 10101 12 circuit harness:

10.5.1 Connect HEADLIGHT SECTION A wire #924 (grn) to the Horn's hot terminal. TURN SIGNAL

SECTION wire #953 (blk) was connected in the Turn Signal Connector section of these

instructions. The Horn Relay is pre-wired into the Fuse Panel.

This brings back up my previous question - Should I rig up a relay for ignition?

Um, I stand corrected. I actually used a rebel wiring 9+3 harness but Its pretty much the same thing. I didnt use a relay for my harness because megasquirt has all the efi relays and its a seperate harness. I assume you wouldnt because of that reason and also the controls all the keyed hot stuff. Im no expert though. Sorry if that didnt help. I hope you get it worked out. My Zs all had so many electrical gremlins it was ridiculous.