HybridZ

Exhaust liners change AFR's?

ozconnection

Hi,

A quick question; do the exhaust liners of the P79, N47 and Y70 heads alter the air/fuel ratio's seen by an Innovate WBO sensor for example compared to an otherwise 'identically' set up engine with square exhaust ports?

I know that here in Australia, when the R30 Skylines were being sold, the L24E engines were equipped with both the E88 late model head with square exhaust ports and the N47 head, identical as far as I know except for the round exhaust ports. Would they have had different tunes in the ECU's to compensate?

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

As far as I know, the liners are there to get hot and ignite any unburnt or partially burnt fuel if you are running rich or are having incomplete combustion in the cylinder due to the engine revving to fast to complete the burning in the cylinder. So where the unlined sensor might see oxygen and fuel, the lined exhaust sensor would see less oxygen as it would have been combined with the unburnt fuel to form exhaust gas.

How MUCH the change would be would depend entirely on your tune and setup.

I'm sure someone with more detailed knowledge will speak up soon.