HybridZ

L28, injection, and turbo questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello all. I'm new to this site, so please excuse me if my post is out of line.

I am strongly considering building a GTO Z from the McBurnie kit and powered by a turbocharged L28.

Just have a few questions:

1) I was wondering if I should use a P90 or P90a head for the engine and am curious about the topend of the latter. I've heard about problems like lifter bleed down with the hyd. head.

2) What are your opinions about forged pistons, and which brand do you recommend?

3) What turbos fit on the zxt manifold, and what are their specs?

4) What are your opinions about aftermarket injection systems (Accel, SDS, etc.) and what do you recommend?

5) Anyone in Georgia have a good Z chassis they want to sell or know someone that does? I live in Warner Robins (mid GA).

6) Is there any difference between the McBurnie and Stable GTO kits?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

1. I used a P90 head and I haven't heard too many good things about the P90a.

2. To justify the cost of forged pistons you have to ask yourself how much power you are looking for. When I had my motor built I knew my turbo could move enough air to get 400+hp so I knew I needed the extra insurance. BTW I went with JE pistons.

3. There are too many turbo combinations out there to count. I went with a T3/T4e turbo capable of about 400-425hp. Because of the power I was trying to obtain I opted for an external wastegate. A friend of mine used an internal one and it couldn't hold the boost at a set level (very dangerous). The only modification on the manifold was a 1" shim that moved the turbo farther off the manifold. For the external wastegate I had a 3-4" pipe welded on the manifold with a flange and bolted the wastegate to it.

4.As for engine management by far the easiest to install IMO is the SDS. No computer to use in programming it and decent price compared to other units. Although I think the Accel DFI is less expensive. I am pleased with the SDS so far (just my opinion).

5. A great place to start is Scottie's website: http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/thecar.html

Zya

------------------

400HP or bust!!!!

Have a 72 chassis in Manassas Va. Can send pics and details if interested. Comes with 2.8 motor and 5speed trans if you'd like. Fairly disassembled right now but is a roller. Do not believe the rust is bad but the battery tray area has been removed and needs replacing.