HybridZ

How to remove transmission after JCI LS1/T56 swap

Hey guys, I may be doing a clutch job sooner than expected and I'm hoping to avoid having to pull the whole motor and trans (radiator, wiring, hoses, etc). Another member told me that I just have to remove the gearbox from the bellhousing first. I can't see any way to get to the top gearbox bolt-any ideas? Anybody think I'd majorly (is that a word?) weaken things if next time I have the engine/trans out of the car that I just leave that bolt out to make it easier in the years ahead? I need this car to be easy to service if I'm gonna race it like I want to.

It will.

Oh ye of little faith.

Go buy a 24" or 36" extension. That, coupled with a wobble socket or a socket and universal joint combo, and you'll be set. Once the tranny sags, its pretty easy to get to.

Edited by SUNNY Z

Thanks guys-I hadn't imagined any sagging with the crossmember removed. I was trying to imagine getting those darn polyurethane motor mounts apart and I just sort of lost my mind. Thanks for the ribbing, SUNNY. At 45, everything is kind of sagging around here, obviously the gray matter is too. A 36" extension....where can I get one of those? (I'm serious). I hope it is Harbor Freight, cause that would cost a fortune at Sears.