HybridZ

p90 or p90a cylinder head

Guest Tom Scala

Guest Tom Scala

I'm doing a L28turbo swap into my 78Z and was going to use a 83 motor. Being new to the Zcar I didn't know the 83 used hydraulic lifters. Now I'm hearing some not so good things about the hydraulics and am wondering if I should look for a p90 head instead. I didn't drive the donor car but heard it idle,no ticks. Do these p90a heads have reliability problems and are they difficult to rebuild? Thanks for any info.

Guest Fast Frog

Tom:

I've got some experience with ZX turbo hds. Others on this forum may have more. I swapped out my stock '76 engine in the mid '80s to do a beefy turbo setup. I chose the '82ZX turbo engine cause I wanted 7000rpm and was advised that one can't get those kind of revs with a hydraulic setup like the '83ZX. As it turned out, I seldom reached 6500 and could have gone with the hydr hd. I guess if you're into racing or other hi performance, go with the P90, if not, the P90A should be OK.

• 1 month later...

Do not use the P90A head, i have heard from several sources that the lifters are NLA from nissan. They also run about 15 each if i remember correctly. Do the math, thats way too much dough to risk on leaky lifters. Do yourself a favor and find a p90. I did and im glad i did, no worried or headaches.

I have seen an A head converted to non hydraulic lifters before, not sure how it was done but this topic may be better posted on zcar.com. I know of more turbo guys over there that have had experience with the l28.

Zon- Evan