HybridZ

Please help me pick an engine

I have 2 engines available for my 280z but I don´t know which one would be better for 8 pounds of boost.

The one I am running right now is an old SBC with

Vortec heads

1.6 roller rockers

antipump up lifters

Dish pistons :doh: lol

XE 274 cam

Fluid damper

274.jpg

The second choice is a stock LT1 with only lt4 hot cam

lt1.jpg

The sbc needs to be refresh and would like to put a high volume oil pump and probably change the dish pistons.

the lt1 doesnt need anything at all :huh:

What would you guys do?? Help!

It is a 350 I am pretty sure about it but I don't really want to change the cam to a boost one because in 2 weeks i have to take the car to the muffler shop to do the turbo exhaust and since I am in mexico it would take like 1 month for the new cam to arrive :(

Boggero:

You are headed in a good direction on the engine. Rather than using a Turbo, just build a GOOD NA 350 stroked and bored to a 383. With good internals, good cylinder heads, camshaft, rocker arms and Induction you should be able to approach 500+ HP/TQ. See if you can find a salvage '96 - 99' Vortec SBC to rebuild. These has Vortec heads, roller camshafts, taller lifter bores and 1 piece rear main seal crankshaft. These block should have been CNC machined. They also had Electronic Fuel Injection which has a much more clean burn and less wash down of cylinders by gasoline and therefore much less wear. At the rebuild process it is just as cheap to bore and stroke to 383 cu in. Use Flat Top or Dished pistons to achieve appropriate static compression. The better the heads and camshaft, the better the power output. Make your decisions based on goals and budget. Air Flow Research (AFR) makes the best heads bar none. The better the research, the better the outcome.

I want 350 to 400 whp but at 6000ft to do a n/a engine would be too expensive, that is why i am going to boost the car, I don't want a 5k 6k engine for a daily driver and weekend drag racing .

I already saw it with my dad's camaro, It has all the goodies you can find lol

Its a forged lt1 396 stroker with Afr heads and It needs nitrous to do 11s at this shitty dragstrip lol

There is no traction in here :(

My car has more traction at the street than in the dragstrip lol

Ill probably do 12 secs lol but I would be more than happy with that e/t

The fastest cars in here are doing 11s and 12s so I am going to be able to run with most of them and have fun :D

Boggero:

You are headed in a good direction on the engine. Rather than using a Turbo, just build a GOOD NA 350 stroked and bored to a 383. With good internals, good cylinder heads, camshaft, rocker arms and Induction you should be able to approach 500+ HP/TQ. See if you can find a salvage '96 - 99' Vortec SBC to rebuild. These has Vortec heads, roller camshafts, taller lifter bores and 1 piece rear main seal crankshaft. These block should have been CNC machined. They also had Electronic Fuel Injection which has a much more clean burn and less wash down of cylinders by gasoline and therefore much less wear. At the rebuild process it is just as cheap to bore and stroke to 383 cu in. Use Flat Top or Dished pistons to achieve appropriate static compression. The better the heads and camshaft, the better the power output. Make your decisions based on goals and budget. Air Flow Research (AFR) makes the best heads bar none. The better the research, the better the outcome.

That is a awsome combo, Thanks!!!!! :D

Boggero:

It is VERY DIFFICULT to have a less expensive reliable solution to 350 - 400 HP at 6000 feet of altitude. The cost is nearly the same for a 350 or 383 short block using a cast stroker crank. Then use 6 inch connecting rods and Hyper pistons which MUST be ceramic coated when Turbo/Supercharged. When using boost, the cylinder heads still have to FLOW an adequate amount of air. You might get by with Vortec Heads and a $2000.00 Vortec supercharger (4150 carb) kit from Summit Racing.

Boggero:

It is VERY DIFFICULT to have a less expensive reliable solution to 350 - 400 HP at 6000 feet of altitude. The cost is nearly the same for a 350 or 383 short block using a cast stroker crank. Then use 6 inch connecting rods and Hyper pistons which MUST be ceramic coated when Turbo/Supercharged. When using boost, the cylinder heads still have to FLOW an adequate amount of air. You might get by with Vortec Heads and a $2000.00 Vortec supercharger (4150 carb) kit from Summit Racing.

Those works really good a truck just beat me with one in my work truck lol

It has 6 months with the turbo and i am running it with only 5 psi

2012-08-09_12-18-23_705.jpg

2012-04-25_19-45-28_275.jpg

It made 270 whp and originally it gave 160 lol