HybridZ

Rear vibration at low speeds

papa721

I have recently instaled the techno toy tunning rear conversion for my 71 240z with the r200

I went for a drive and when I hit 35mph the rear of the car starts to vibrate and gets worse as I speed up

The wheels are balanced/aligned and well mounted

all the bolts have been tightened well

new axles from TTT

new drive shaft that mates to the 240 tranny yolk and z32 diff yolk

.... thank you all for your time, this is my first build, I have been in love with the S30 sine I was KID, but my car knolwedge is limited but growing, thank you again for your time

any advice would be much appretiated :2thumbs:

I have recently instaled the techno toy tunning rear conversion for my 71 240z with the r200

I went for a drive and when I hit 35mph the rear of the car starts to vibrate and gets worse as I speed up

The wheels are balanced/aligned and well mounted

all the bolts have been tightened well

new axles from TTT

new drive shaft that mates to the 240 tranny yolk and z32 diff yolk

.... thank you all for your time, this is my first build, I have been in love with the S30 sine I was KID, but my car knolwedge is limited but growing, thank you again for your time

any advice would be much appretiated :2thumbs:

First, I love the techno toy products....used to put them on my old Supras we raced.

Vibration at those speeds is almost 100% drivetrain related....

Here are a few ideas based on my experiences....in order or probability...

1) Driveshaft ...may be out of balance or bent slightly. I've had this one hit me hard and it often kicks in at 35 to 40 mph. You can put a dial indicator on the driveshaft and turn it to check.

2) Improper U Joint alignment can cause a nasty vibration...it is caused by the driveshaft not wanting to turn properly and it prefers a certain orientation vs. another...sort of like turning something that you have to force and then it sort of cams/pops over center and then stays there. Some Ujoints are hard to line up - or you might have dropped a needle bearing on the floor?

3)Rear Drum that has a large chunk or fins broken off can cause serious imbalance / vibration.

4) Bent yoke or pinion is another possibility - this one is hard to track down - if you are using new parts not super likely.

One check we always do is if you can feel the vibration in the stickshift, check the front U joints first. If not, then do the rear ones first.

I suspect #1 or #2

I hope this helps maybe a little. Best of luck! I hate trying to chase the demons out of cars like this.