HybridZ

Rear whl bearings need repacking??

Guest Fast Frog

Guest Fast Frog

My son's 77Z 2+2 makes a "wa wa wa wa wa" rythmic type noise coming from the rear of the car when on the road. I'm pretty certain it's not tranny or diff. On two other of my Zs, I had a similiar noise in the front and had to repack the front rear whl bearings (what a pain in the butt!!). I've never repacked the rear whl bearings. My question is, can I get to rear whl b to chk to see if they're drying up without taking the whole strut assembly, etc, apart?? I want to chk them first and not just assume they're going bad.

Thanx,

Rick

Rear bearings are a huge pain. There's some other threads floating around here about the hassles of removing the locknut, removing the stub axle, etc.

I don't think my car was making any noise due to rear bearings - although it's hard to tell since there was so much noise in general (no front diff mount, orig. R180, old ujoints (one broken), bad shocks and springs, etc, etc). I do know that mine were pretty much dry though.

It's definately something worth doing. You might want to plan ahead for it though - for instance, do you ever plan on going to rear discs? If so, you have to remove the stubs to attack the mounting plate. You'll not ever want to do this chore again.

------------------

240Z.jeromio.com