HybridZ

STI Diff install, need some help!!

RB240zDET

Ok guys I need some help. After plenty of research and consideration I have decided to go with a STI Diff in my 280z. I have some questions as there is not really a clear cut thread answering everything I am wondering.

My first question is, with installing the STI diff do I only need a R180 Mustache bar to bolt the STI diff in my Datsun or is there another custom mount (AZC, TTT, ETC..) that is need to mount the STI diff in the car?

Second, do I have to have the Beta Motorsports or the like axle adapters to allow me to run my stock axles or is there any option to run my stock axles with the original companion flanges out of my current diff and swap them over to the STI diff?

Third (I am pretty sure I know this one...) I can simply remove the stock drive shaft flange from the front section of my 280z diff and replace it in the STI diff as so I do not need to have a new drive shaft made?

Thanks in advance guys.

The STi diff will work with the R180 mustache bar (in the cars that come with the R180.) I don't know about cars that came with the R200.

The STi diff requires the Beta Motorsports side axles. The Datsun side axles will not work.

Yes, you can (and need to) move the companion flange from the Datsun R180 to the STi R180.

I concur with the above. You need an R180 mustache bar (the R200 mustache bar won't work) and Betamotorsport output flanges. You need to remove the STi input flange and replace it with one that will fit your driveshaft. For me, I just swapped the stock 240z R180 input flange onto the STi diff and used my stock 240z driveshaft. You need an impact wrench to swap the input flange. If your 280z had an R180, you are in good shape. If your 280z had an R200, I don't know if that input flange has the same spline count as the STi or not.... It is a good time to go to an RT front diff mount too. You definitely need the Betamotorsport flanges - the STi diff has a unique spline and nothing else will work to allow you to use your stock axles.

Edited by RebekahsZ