HybridZ

Swap to a L28 from a 280zx or not

Guest Zpeed

Guest Zpeed

hey again, i've just got a major delima, i just have taken my first readings of my compression in the heads, its like ranging from 119 to 150, so it is time for a rebuild, but a redo with all the works that i would do to the L26 i have in it right now will cost myself around 800, i also have an option of getting a reconditioned L28 from a 280zx for 1350, which i believe is good, becuase the engine is bsically completly done with all parts being genuine nissan parts,

the engine add is this

Standard specification reconditioned 280zx engine. Valve grind, genuine rings, bearings, water pump, gaskets, and seals. $1320

well and i belive i can have a few more things done to the engine performace wise, better camshaft etc, and extractors for $2000

i'm not sure which path i want to go for, is it worth just keeping the L26 in there and redo it, or get a L28, i do like my z being faster, and i can swap the engine over, but not sure if it is worth it or not

thanks

It is my goal to get a L28 sometime in the future, just not sure which angle to go for

Guest lambsr

Get the L28. By the time you get the L26 'done up' you won't be far off the price of your L28, plus you'll be back on the road quicker. One proviso - what does 'reconditioned' mean in this case ?? Have they done a rebore/crank grind, etc ?? or just slapped in some new bearings and rings.

In the end, while I like the ol' L26, an L28 has far more potential [shrug].

Guest Zpeed

recondtioned means new bearings and everything like that... basically new parts, not sure bout if its bored or anything i will check that, i think i'll be going for the L28, does the L28 just a change over swap from the 280zx, i don't need to do any changin with my gearbox or anything i got a 5 speed, i pretty sure i will be able to handle it

thanks

Guest Fast Frog

Your ZX L28 engine should take any Z/ZX tranny. I've put ZX 5spd trannys in 240Zs and 280Zs without probs. The 240Z(and maybe the 260Z)has a slightly diff clutch "mating" pattern so check that out if you're also going to change the clutch while installing the ZX tranny. There are two diff ZX trannys-standard and the "Diamond Plate". The Diamond Plate is found on 2+2s and ZX turbos. The Diamond Plate is beefier and has a slightly larger clutch setup.

Rick