HybridZ

N42 or E88? other factor involved.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just stumbled onto a 79ZX. According to the previous owner(or holder, the owner actually owed this guy some money)the car ran good when parked. Since then, the AFM, starter, and computer had been removed.

I haven't looked at the numbers but I am sure that the E88, while not having chambers like the E31, will produce a higher CR than the N42 on the car now. I understand though, that the current head has larger valves than the E88. So, for those who have been down this road, which on should I use? At least for a while I will be using the stock manifold and round top SUs.

Guest Anonymous

Jeromio,

I have a good E88 on my L24 now. It has a little click but I think a better valve adj will fix that.

Frog,

If you can find that spec sheet, I would appreciate it. From what I have learned so far, the N42 is pretty good but has soft valve seats.

According to that little lengine builder, they produce about the same CR.

Guest Fast Frog

KS73Z:

Unless someone else, who might have a spec sheet with the various Z heads at their finger tips, answers immediately; I've got a spec sheet at home in the garage and I'll check it out and get back to you tomarrow.

Rick

Guest Fast Frog

KS73Z:

Got my spec sheet for Z heads. The E31 is a early 240 head with a 42.4cc combustion chamber and 42/33mm intake/exhaust dia. The E88 is a later 240 head with a 44.7cc CC and 42/33mm int/ex. The N series head is a 280 head with 44.6cc CC and 44/35mm int/ex.

The compression ratio for the two(E88&N42) is the same but the larger valves on the N42 will allow more flow for better top end performance.

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: Fast Frog ]