HybridZ

uh oh...plz help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ook, where to start. i bought my car in january and it was cool, but it has been going down hill sinc ethen (so it seems, speed + torque) and i kept telling myself i have to wait till summer ot tune it back up. well...looks like i cant wait. today it got up to 250+ degrees i have no idea why, it was fine on the way TO school. so i open the hood and (i posted this prob a couple days ago with no response)

i see my carbs, have oil coming out of the bells, out of every crack in them. it all started when i put carb cleaner additive in my gas. heres a pic:

mikes240a.jpg

heres a pic of what looks like an oil spill or something, no idea how or why.

mikes240b.jpg

also on that pic.what is that little L shaped thing stickout out of the top of the engine? anyways, back to the subject...

mikes240c.jpg

pic of the turbo oil thinger, but i have it sealed (well uh..yeah) but it is starting to leak very badly. how woudl i seal that up completely? see near the top where theres alll that oil? icon_sad.gif also notice on this pic, the left inner fender....the carbs look like they are spraying oil ! icon_mad.gif i tried to show it a little better in this pic...

mikes240d.jpg

well anyway, thats my problem. my questions are..what is causing this and how do i fix?? also i have white smoke coming out my exhaust sometimes so that menas there is oil in there, doesnt it? sheesh : please give me some advice. thanks....

mike

Hiya Mike--hopefully I can help a little

If it starts overheating the easiest thing to do is change the thermostat -if it is stuck closed, you will overheat--and yes it was fine this morning, but I've seen crazier things happen. Easy way to check it is to pull the rad. cap (when cold) and start the engine-when it gets up to operating temp, you should see flow past the filler neck-if not, it's probably stuck

Webers and fuel leaks seem to go hand in hand-mine have been seeping like that for some time, and no problems (yet)

Scott of ZTherapy told me about www.piercemanifolds.com they are one of the few Weber distributors in the US-they do list rebuild kits for the DCOE's

I notice the breather on top of the rocker cover is open-BAD IDEA-go to your local K&N supplier and get a little breather filter-they run around 15-20 bucks. That fitting used to have a hose going to the air cleaner, but since you don't have one...

It may also be why you are getting oil running down the outside of the rocker cover (blow-by)

The turbo oiler thingy, I'm not too sure about, I would hazard a guess that the next time you change the oil, take it apart and reseal everything--might fix it

The carbs "blowing oil" is usually a sign of valves out of adjustment or sticking--double check all of them--mine also tended to do that if I had the idle mixture set too rich, which could be part of the problem too.

You say it has white smoke? As long as there is no blue in it, it probably isn't oil-just a misadjustment on the carbs

Hope this helps

Jim

Guest Anonymous

ok, u probably guessed but i am not adept in cars yet, hehe. how do i adjust the mixture in my car? cause i do know it runs rich. how do i adust the valves also? and on the carbs is there a way to adjust them by hand (or any of these things) or do you need tools? thanks, i thought i really screwed something up, but i hope its just off balanced :

mike

OK-for the carbs I added a pic (I hope)

I would also recommend trying to find the Haynes manual that covers Webers-it's not the greatest, but it does have a lot of good info.

To adjust the valves, I could try and explain it here, but you'd be a lot better off with the Haynes for the Z-it has the procedure in it-be prepared to spend a hour or two doing it the first time, along with a lot of cussing and banged knuckles

To properly tune a multi-carb setup-you need a synchronizer (common brand is a Uni-Syn) I found mine for about 35 bucks at a Volkswagen shop (bug owners like multi-carbs too) but you can also find em on ebay if you're patient

cars.html#carbadj.jpg

Guest Anonymous

ah, thanks a lot! i was really worried there for a second when i see oil splattered all over the enginebay and dripping out the carbs. i tried the thing and i did see a current of coolent in the radiator, so i just added more. when im idling, what should my oil pressure be? and what about when im driving in low/high rpms? thx.

Oil pressure gauges on the Z are kinda flaky and inaccurate-and slow to respond--if you have the wrong sending unit for the gauge, it won't read properly. If you have the time/talent, install a mechanical gage off of a tee fitting in the engine bay-lots more accurate

An "old school" rule of thumb is 10 psi for every 1000 RPM-if you're running much less than that, I'd be worried