HybridZ

Glasspacks on L6?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I need a new exhaust system on my 77 280 and I was thinking about glasspacks... Do they sound good on a straight 6? I like tastefully loud cars, not annoying droning. ( I always loved v8's )What is a good setup; glasspack, resonator, etc? Or should I just go with a traditional system? If so what kind? I just want a better breathing, better sounding system than my rusty old stock exhaust.

Fraga

From my rather limited experience the best sound you can get out of a 6 is to put a resonator as close to the exhaust manifold as you can, and then run straightpipes afterwards.

By putting a resonator in that position you eliminate that terrible exhaust drone that can occur. And by not having anything after that you get a nice, mellow, somewhat load, but very smooth tone.

2.25" or 2.5" should suffice nicely. (I'd probably go with 2.5" if you have any other mods, headers, cam, intake, etc)

------------------

"Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers

The resonator muffles the sound a lot more on most cars than the actual muffler does. As far as I know, the only legality issue is decible level, and possibly cat/no cat for emissions. The actual exhaust configuration isn't checked outside those boundries.

Guest Anonymous

cool, under my hood on the sticker one of the only parts still legible says non-catalyst...

About how much would this cost to have done.. on average? parts?

thanks icon_smile.gif

fraga

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Any other input? I'm tired of my leaking muffler, need a more powerful sound... btw this is in CA, there may be more legal restrictions... anybody know?

Fraga

Guest Fast Frog

I got a GP on my 77 2+2. It sounds OK, but a little "tinny and raspy". I like the sound of a 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" turbo muffler better. My son has one on his 76Z and sounds more mellow and throaty.

I agree on the Turbo muffler--they do really well on the Dastsuns in terms of sound.

If you are really sold on glasspacks, MSA sells a pretty good DIY kit. Price is about $169. This is for a dual-exhaust system.

Guest Anonymous

I'm open to any options, just something better than stock... which brand turbo muffler? dynomax?

And did the 77's have catalytic converters? because The hood could be a replacement(says non-catalyst on it)

Thanks

Just my .02--the glasspack system that MSA sells (is it still called "twice pipes"?) is a VERY obnoxious system--I had it on my car-L28, E31, 3xwebers, 460 lift cam--and if you wanted to have a conversation in the car, you had to have a megaphone. About a year ago I had a local shop make up a 2.5" pipe from the collector back ($100) and then hung a 4" Supertrapp ($80) on the end; I get a little of the infamous 2000 RPM resonance, but nothing too bad, and you can actually talk to your passengers without screaming. IMHO, the glasspack system is garbage, only for use if you want that wonderful Honduh-with-playing-cards-in-the-spokes-pretending-to-be-a-Cessna sound

I never used glasspacks before and I'm sold on the "turbo" mufflers anyway. Brand is not that big of a deal--I like Dynomax personally, but others like Flowmasters which are a different animal altogether. I've not been a fan of Supertrapps because tests have shown that they put out more noise per hp gained then "conventional" performance mufflers. They are tunable, which most others are not.

Guest Anonymous

Did the 77's all come with cats? cuz the hood says non-catalyst, but under the car I see a something that looks like a cat... is it a premuffler or a cat? Is it legal to just get the whole pipe from the collector baqck replaced?

Fraga

Fraga, are you CA? If not, check to see if you can get away with getting an exhaust system that has no catalytic converter. Don't worry about "hurting" the environment because that cat didn't work for more than 5 years anyway after the car was purchased!

Many of today's cars give longer warranties on smog related parts, but not back then...

David

Guest Anonymous

Pretty much the only part of the hood badge I can read is "NON-CATALYST" the rest is to worn away to read... this is on the info sticker below the passenger side hood vent... The only other tag I see is on the drivers side, by the inspection hatch...

Oh yeah... i am in CA, so thats why I'm asking... hehe. It could be from out of state.. I dont know.

Fraga

I checked the service manual, and there is a model number designation for California/non-California models, but it doesn't appear to show up in the VIN, or the ID plate in the engine bay. If it says non-catalyst, it's most likely a non-california car.

A pre-muffler was used in place of the cat in these cars. Also, the opening in the gas filler tube will be larger, to accomodate the larger pump nozzles that were used with leaded gas. Another clue - there was a floor temp warning light opposite the low fuel light that was only used with the cats (at least on the '78s). The opening for the light was blanked out on the non-cali cars.

[ May 13, 2001: Message edited by: TimZ ]

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Tim... I don't have the floor temp sensor... just the fuel light. Okay So i Should be able to get a new pipe from the collector back to the muffler.. what do ya think; 2.25 or 2.5 inch pipe into the turbo muffler?

Thanks