HybridZ

tuning questions (stock '80 L28)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

allright guys i would appreciate some help please, my recently purchased 280zx is a good car. although looking around now i realize i paid way too much for what i was getting. anyway on to the motor. the problem is i get BAD mpg. i am talking like i have to get a new take of gas every 2-4 DAYS. i dont even hot rod all that much anymore. compared to when i first bought it that is. hey, you always play with a toy hardest after you first get it right?

i will get back on track though, i was wonderin if you guys could tell me how to do a basic tune up on it. i know how to work on motors it is just that all the motors i have worked on were all carbed not injected. as far as i can tell i am running extremely rich. i was tweaking the motor a few days ago. i had changed out the coil and fuel filter.

the car had not been starting and i thought maybe it was the fuel pump but i decided to try the cheap stuff first. only to find out that $60 later the only probelm was a little black wire hidden in a corner had disattached causing my problem :mad while i had been doing that i had pulled the plugs and checked them. i was surprised they had not fouled yet they were so black and soot covered.

how would i get the A/F ratio back to a more livable level? i am thinking that maybe the O2 sensor needs to be replaced. would that cause it to run rich if the sensor was shot?

also any other advice on how to tune this motor for best performance would be greatly appreciated. i would rather do this myself and learn something new then to have to shell out $137 just to get my car tuned by a shop in town.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

There is a maybe 4" square box after the airfilter in the engine compartment, you will see a small black plug, pull it. Underneath you will find a screw that adjusts airflow. I hear if you take the box apart you can do some more drastic adjustments. Hope it helps, btw 280Zx's run rich(I'm told they just do).

Do you have any idea when the oxygen sensor was last replaced? Realistically, that wouild be one of the first things I would replace on any FI car I bought used. If it is properly working, then the computer is getting a proper reading (most likely) and you'll enjoy better fuel economy than before. The fuel filter (as you posted) is something I would also replace in addition to the oil, filter, plugs, wires, coil, cap & rotor, etc. Sounds like you are on your way.

David