HybridZ

L6 oil leak, could this be it? (long)

Well, i pulled out my intercooler plumbing, and removed my distributor tonight in an effort to undo the mess under the hood. Looking at the underside of the hood, the oil spray is in a perfect line between the front cover and the radiator.

I am not totally sure whats leaking now. I cleaned off the front pulley and ran the engine to check for leaks. I cant seem to isolate the leak to the front seal. In theory, it should be oily right under the seal. Well, its not (that i can see).

Im thinking its a combination of my valve cover leaking (discovered that tonight). And the fact that my distributor only had one bolt in it. It seemed pretty oily under the distributor mount. Is there enough pressure to actually spray oil out of that small gap? It seems logical now that im looking at the mess.

The oil leak is really not there at idle. I can clean out everything underneath and let it idle all day with no leaks. It only leaks when im driving the car. Wnen i say leak, i mean leak. You can see a trail of oil where I have been. Then when you stop it dumps an undetirmined amount onto the driveway, then stops leaking.

SOO.. where im goig with this is the fact that it does not leak at idle, or overnight. It leaks during driving, and when the engine has just been run.

Thanks for the help guys, im just hoping to fix the leak without taking apart everything again.

Evan icon_biggrin.gif

Evan...

Yes, either of those things could cause a leak. Sounds like you might be getting blowby as discussed earlier. If you drive it around, without running any boost (I know it's hard to resist), does it still leak?

It's very conceivable that there could be enough pressure in the crankcase while under boost to cause a small leak to turn into a spray.

Dude, my wastegate is blocked open so im not producing any boost (that my gauge is showing, it doesnt show vacum, just 2+ PSI of boost)

Its easy enough to put what ive taken apart back together and run it around the block to check for the valdeze action. I may just try that. The spray actiion is actually from it getting on the belts and flingin around the engine compartment, im pretty sure.

thanks- Evan

PS.. im tryin to get the base fuel maps setup before i consider boost.