HybridZ

Check out these Crayz Prices

Guest Zpeed

Guest Zpeed

about a week ago i emailed a really good Z shop around the melbourne town, knowing that this shop is really good, and have quality parts and do quality work

i asked for this

-F54 2.8L block

-Flat top Pistons

-N42 Head

-Mild to moderate cam

they qouted me 3850 for the whole engine, parts and assembly and all

transplant and tuning is another 450

240z carbies, refubished and overhauled for 550

High Energy Electronic ignition kit, distributor leads and coil $500.

extractors 330

3.7 r200 for 275 or a 4.4 for 450

well thats it, i just want to know what i should go for here, i am not going to do get the engine from them,

i've already picked up a 2.8 with a n42 head from the junk yard for 100, which i will be rebuilding,

and the rest find somewhere else, just asking about the carbs, they are fully refurbished... but for 550 a bit pricey...

its all in aussie dollars

Guest lambsr

quote:

-F54 2.8L block

-Flat top Pistons

-N42 Head

-Mild to moderate cam

they qouted me 3850 for the whole engine, parts and assembly and all

I think I know who......but if this is a true full rebuild with the whole schmeer, inc reground crank, full head reco, porting, etc then probably close to the mark when labour is considered, tho' still on the high side AFAIC. Paying this sort of dosh I think I'd want a hefty matching warranty.

transplant and tuning is another 450

again if this includes a proper dyno tune probably not unreasonable (again, still a bit high for my liking).

240z carbies, refubished and overhauled for 550

Depends on what 'r&o' means. I have a good set there for around $300.

High Energy Electronic ignition kit, distributor leads and coil $500.

cough[ripoff]cough....an L24E dizzy plus new leads, cap, HEI coil, etc can be had for less than $250...and I have some alternatives that are even better using a readily available GM ignitor for the same price.

extractors 330

Ring HM Headers and find out what their current price is.

3.7 r200 for 275 or a 4.4 for 450

3.7 is stock 260Z manual ratio and readily available SH for less than this. 4.4 I would have said is a bit short. You want either 3.9 or 4.1 ratio. R200 viscous LSD's are readily available for $500 or so, but I'd suggest saving your money to get a clutch LSD....you won't regret it.

well thats it, i just want to know what i should go for here, i am not going to do get the engine from them,

good...

i've already picked up a 2.8 with a n42 head from the junk yard for 100, which i will be rebuilding,

HAve a go at it yourself...you'll learn more and there's a certain satisfaction involved. Plus you'll have more money to spend on other things.....

and the rest find somewhere else, just asking about the carbs, they are fully refurbished... but for 550 a bit pricey...

yep......

its all in aussie dollars[/QB]

Guest Zpeed

thanks alot slamb, exactly wat i wanted, i'm very inexperianced, with prices and stuff, just don't want to get riped off

im not sure if i want to keep that N42 head or change to the P90, reading around alot of places, people say N42 others say P90

can't make up my mind on whats best,

did you say you had a set of carbs for 300 that your selling or, that u got for 300, always gota asked. hehe

once i get the engine complete, i'll go there to get the tuning, with the dyno and everything, i believe that it would be worth my while, seeing them how they tune the carbs etc...

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: Zpeed ]

Guest Anonymous

If your looking to do the full rebuild why stay stock? I picked up a complete VL (non turbo) for $500 at fowles auctions with good motor and 5spd. To go in my 260z with engineering cert and brakes upgrade its gonna be cheaper and faster than a stock rebuild.

p.s. i can do most of it myself though, having it done by a workshop would make quite a difference to cost.

Guest Zpeed

i hafto stay stock because i am only on my P's for the next 3 years... and therefore can't do an engine swap such as that one, even thou i'd love to do the vl, or rather the vl turbo, but not yet..

what was wrong with the Vl u bought anyway, seems a little cheap for $500

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: Zpeed ]

Guest lambsr

Stick with the N42 for an NA motor.

I really can't understand why anyone would go with a P90 for an NA......I calculated that the CR with one of these turbo heads on an L28 with flat-tops would only be around 8.5:1 !! You would need to shave off a helluva lot to get any decent increase....

Also remember that, to acheive the increased combustion chamber size on the P90, Nissan 'raised the roof' of the comb chamber and then had to shorten the valves to compensate. Since these heads were not sold in Oz (officially, that is) replacement valves are unlikely to be readily available and probably cost $$$ (if needed that is). There is no such problem with the N42.

As for the carbs....I have a feeling I know who is offering them for $550.....and if that's the case my $300 set is a bargain

icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Zpeed

yer thats what i was thinking, with the P90 head that you do get low compression, unless your going turbo, which i am not, so N42 best for my application,

thanks for that slamb,

and are you selling those carbs,

or are you saying that you bought them for $300