HybridZ

VG30ET - basic VG engine questions

OK, some of you may realize that I'm not researching for upgrades on a Z, but hopefully some of the post here will help other Z-people. I have a few questions about the VG engine line specifically the VG30ET. Most important to me is finding out whether the engine mounts on the VG30ET will fit a KA24DE's. Things that I was thinking about:

1) nissan pickups came equipped with either a KA I4 or a VG V6;

...so the KA and VG engines should be interchangeable in the pickups provided you remove or mount the brackets that came with the I4 or V6.

2) the VG30ET is in the same family as the VG found in the pickups, so they should be interchangeable

... while reading on z31.com, I read about a swap from a NA to Turbo VG in a Z31 300zx and apparently the engine mounts are slightly different since nissan had to accomodate the turbo. But upgrading to the turbo engine meant simply replacing one cross member - simple enough.

- and, what kind of power have those people out there using the VG30ET safely accomplished?

-are some engine parts from the VG30DETT interchangeable with the ET ??

thanks everyone

These are all good questions and I'm listenning with interest for the answers. I've got a VG30ET sitting around that I was going to put in an early Z but abandoned it because of interest in inline 6 experiments. I might put it in my 720 P/U though. I think your on the right track looking to P/U applications and I'd look there for exhaust manifolds as well. The oil pan configuration would be one of my main concerns re fitting this to your 240SX, but again, including P/U source, 300ZX, Infinity, and even fwd Maxima may provide effortless solutions.

I was following this thread and didn't give my $.02, I've thought along the same lines, that the 240SX is well known to have a great chassis but anemic power source and could be great with a light, compact, and powerful engine. Some that come to mind are the aluminum block DOHC V6 Isuzu Trooper engine coupled to a 2wd 5spd, Mazda 929 DOHC V6 coupled to a P/U 5spd, a Volvo 2.3FT 4cyl (don't laugh, have you driven one?) M/T, etc.

I don't think you're going to be able to convert the VG30ET to a VG30DET, start out with the DET if cost and clearance allow.

DAW

Thanks DAW - my interests in the VG30ET lie in the fact that it may:

a) bolt right in place with as few modifications to the mounts as possible

B) be one of the cheapest turbo V6 options for me

c) maintain the handling in the car (240sx) without screwing with the suspension dynamics (as an I6 appears it would)

d)capable of producing higher HP than the KA with fewer modifications and less stress on the engine and my wallet.

... I asked about parts being interchangeable with the VG30DETT since parts were so prolific for this engine. Pistons, rods, crank, parts of the valve train, the "rock crusher" transmission - simply more parts and at a cheaper price. Somehow I know this would make it too easy, so probably none of the aforementioned parts are going to swap into a VG30ET. Anyway, please, anyone with info on this engine, I'd appreciate it. Simple things - how strong is the engine - thick cylinder walls? piston oil squirters? solid main cap girdle? heavy duty transmission? and how high have people pushed these engines. Thanks everybody.