HybridZ

Begging for help?? Please read!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok I have a 71 240 Z I have pulled out the engine and now am putting it back in. I have the crank mark pointing up, The cam sprocket has a 1, 2, 3, on the outer ring 1 am pointing the 1 up also when i put it on the valver are hitting the piston.. Does the position of the marks sound correct< both up?> AND i had to have the head milled due to it was leaking out the sides, This could be it but wanted to make sure i was installing the timming chain righ?? thx for helping

Well Redline...for your first post-this is a goodie!

I've never rebuilt a Datsun engine but I have a few books on them. How much was the head milled?

From what I've read-The bright chain link must align with the cam-sprocket timing mark that agrees with the dowel hole which engages the cam-drive dowel and make sure the cam sprocket doesnt turn while you're slipping the chain downward/over the crank sprocket for assembly.

Nother-words; as you've mentioned-there are three of them; if you have chosen to use the #1 dowel hole then you should also likewise use the #1 timing mark...the same goes for #2. If you've chosen the #2 mark-then the #2 dowel hole must also be used...ect,ect same goes for the #3.

If I've missed something-then maybe someone who has actually rebuilt the Datsun I6 can chime in & help.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

Ok it took me a little bit but i was thinking that i need to line up the dowl on the camshaft to the top not the mark on the timming chain sproket... As i look closer on the sproket their si 3 holes on the inner part of the sproket that would line up #1 to the top as the dowl is at athe top.. thx for your feedback, as far as how far for the milling i am not sure it needed to be done bad u could see the blowby,but the machine shop i took it to just did it and handed it back icon_smile.gif i will re try to adjust this and let u know what i found. thx again,,

P.S. 1 day I

will have a V8 11 second car in my garage a 11 second Z CAR, sigh 1 day icon_cool.gif