HybridZ

VG30DET

Guest slouch

Guest slouch

Does anyone have any information good or bad on the feasibility, and pehaps details or a link to an example, of a swap of a VG30DET into a z31

brenden

85 300zxt

Guest empracing

Nice motor i have one but...the bloody gearbox is a z32 type and apparently wont fit the older gearbox the starter goes into the box wit hthe body along sid the motor if you get the picture if you find out another way of fitting it or if the older box works please do tell i would love to put it in my 260 one day the only gear box i could get for it was a z32 5 speed for 3000 australian!! i spose i could look into the auto tranny as for fitting it can be done surely but ive not seen it done to a z31 yet good luck p.s heaps of hp there if you want it bad enuff

Guest lambsr

empracing - your right, the Z32 gearbox won't fit BUT there is a type out there that does - look for one from a V6 Navara (your looking at at least $1000). I'm helping a mate fit a VG30DET into a 260Z and while the GB is a big mutha, it does fit without tunnel mods (just)....engine mounts are another matter icon_sad.gif

Alternatively, get hold of a GB from a VG30ET, but these aren't as strong.

slouch - I can't help with any info, sorry, but I believe the VG30ET and VG30DET blocks are very similar, so should be possible.

Guest empracing

z32 dont fit wha? now i am confused motor is a VG30DET you say a VG30DETT box wont fit? are you in australia cos ide like to see these box's that fit i would so love to fit it to the z man that'd hammer

Guest lambsr

empracing: sorry, what I wrote wasn't very clear. Firstly the VG30DETT gearbox will bolt straight to the VG30DET block. BUT, the problem with the VG30DETT gearbox is the starter motor location which is unique because of the requirement to clear the RHS turbo arrangement. Here is a picture of a VG30DETT gearbox (hope this works !!):

gb6.jpg

Note the hole in the side of the bellhousing for the starter. Also note that this gearbox uses a remote shifter linkage which presents another problem. This picture shows some detail of the shift linkage:

gb4.jpg

Back to the starter...here are two pictures of the starter motor itself and one of it actually bolted in place:

el1.jpg

el2.jpg

[the second photo is obviously of an auto, but the orientation/location is the same in the manual version]

Note particularly that the starter body faces towards the back of the car and this means that, to fit this GB into an early Z would require major surgery to the trans tunnel (to put it mildly).

The V6 Navara gearbox we are using with my friends conversion (well, that's what we were told it was from) is a more 'normal' type of gearbox that doesn't present any of these problems. We have also found with our trial fits of the engine/GB combo that, even though the GB is physically quite large, it fits the tans tunnel without any problems or extra work.

Oh...one other thing....we have also found that the VG30DETT flywheel can't be used on the VG30DET, basically because of the starter ring-gear arrangement. Fortunately my friend is a machinist and he has made up a steel flywheel to do the job.

Guest empracing

i see what you mean the starter from my VG30det was the same type as the one in the pics photos of the conversion you guys did would be nice!!! good luck with it but ill stick to a chev i think less trouble more nice sounds hehe