HybridZ

engine remanufacturers ....

Hi all. 

I'm going to replace the 305 SBC in my '74 260 with a 350 SBC. I'm about to order a build from MOTOR WORKS engines in Spokane, WA. Looking to see if anyone has any knowledge of them or Performance Clinic, Proformance or ATK. Just looking for any feed back before I order this out.
My Z is a roadster conversion with a '79 305 using LT-1 heads, Wieand 8125 intake, Edelbrock 650 cfm carb and OEM
cast headers from an early Z28.  Valve seals are starting to leak a little, so instead of redoing this engine, eventhough it
runs very well, I'd rather replace it with a 350-355.

I've researched and talked with a number of remanufacturers and I'm about to let a build order out.  Just thought I'd troll
for any experience anyone might have had with MOTOR WORKS engines (Spokane, WA),
Performance Clinic, Proformance or ATK. 
I have had very good feedback from MOTOR WORKS and like the detail knowledge and specific questions the've asked
as to the specific application, use and spec. parameters I want.  We've come up with a build specific to my likes.

Anyone have something I might be able to use in terms of reman. companies (good/BAD)?
I'd appreciate comments.
ct240z

post-26835-0-60686400-1359130830_thumb.jpg

Yeh, I explored that option.  Has many advantages, however, did'nt get me where I want to go.

I'm going for a black block, chrome v/tc covers & pan.  I'm looking for around 6000 rpm red line.

The 3 yr. warranty is nice, but the hp/tq/rpm parameters and visual details just don't fit my check list.

Last winter I replaced the 4spd Saginaw with a 5spd Tremec that give me the rev range I want for

hwy cruising .... with the 4 spd. and rear in the car engine was doing 4 k at 75 and on a 5200 rpm engine

not so good.  Anyway, thanks for the thought.

Well, most any v8 ia going to be 5500-6000 rpm redline with cast internals.. lots of variables with rod / piston / crank but I wont get into that aspect.

If you're more worried about appearance just invest in a dress up kit..

You can spend 6grand on a speedshop motor... or 3k on a crate engine and then invest 3-500$ in fancy chrome

Just happens the GM Mr. Goodwrench crate engines are only 5000 k engines and power/tq. peaks pretty early.

Again, not what I'm looking for .....  only in answer to your initial response "I'd just go with a gm goodwrench crate motor".

So while I appreciate the comments, what I was really looking for was information on Reman. experience. 

I don't happen to have the facilities to do my own engine build, meaning I'd have to have a shop mill, grind etc.and by the

time I finished researching parts combo's and paying for outside labor my best option is a good builder.

Are you looking for a complete dressed motor? You can reuse your alternator, starter, and waterpump that will save you money.

I'm looking at longblocks, not complete motors.

You said you wanted polished / chrome parts. Which implies you would be buying a new intake manifold and valve covers anyways.

As for your power goals. Build it yourself. Find a machine shop and get a bare block that has been magnafluxed, bored, honed, and line honed. Have them install cam bearings.

I got my block for free and paid 350$ for the service.

I had my heads rebuilt with new valves, seats, springs etc etc from lunati for 600$

I spent 200 on an intake, 550$ on a carb

Flexplate and balancer were 100$ paired

Crank was 600, rods were 300, and my pistons were 300

Oilpan was 60$ (I think) from kmj, and my msd dizzy was 350$

Lunati cam was 125 I think

Thats ~3600$ after misc gaskets. I reused a few parts too. (Alternator, dizzy, starter, valve covers)

It made 525hp and 647tq at 6200 rpm.

This was my first build and I sold it to my boss, its currently in his circle track car and has the piss beaten out of it nightly.

All you need is hand tools and a good torque wrench

I can turn a wrench as good as the next idiot that doesn't know what he's doing but I couldn't build a motor if someone held a gun to my head. Knowing this I bought a rebuild from  Engine Factory.com. Its located not far over the GW bridge in north Jersey. I visited the place before dealing. I was impressed with their operation.They build what you want with what you want and build to order.The best part my dumb ass found was it was all set up and a video of it being per-run for 45 min at completion. Everything was per-set carb,choke valves etc. It was true plug and play. It took much of the mystery and misery out of the conversion. Check them out . At the very least your not dealing with some high school kid in his dads garage which is what I feared . Plus they are fairly closeby in the event of a problem. My experence was excellent   Jim

This is my first post, in hopes that this guys question will get answered. I live not too far from there and would love to hear an actual answer to his question. Ive heard about these guys as well and am really wondering how good of a job they do.

If I remember correctly, I am PRETTY sure the guy my brother bought his F150 from had the motor rebuilt by Motor Works.  We were in Walla Walla at the time, and the thing ran great.  My brother eventually traded it because the transmission was starting to go bad, but the engine never missed a beat.  So that said, I'm 99% sure this is the place, and yes, I would recommend them.

Though I must confess, their Google reviews are not stellar.  Mostly on the warranties they provide.

Seems like the Google reviews for almost all rebuilders have someone not pleased with a warranty issue.  There are BB ratings also.

I appreciate zohan's comment.  Stay tuned ownTer, I'll be posting results.

If your willing 78Z, what kind of build did you do and for what $'s?  Was this for your Z?