HybridZ

Center of the Controversy?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I thought some of you might find this a wee bit intriguing?

I hope I am not really late for the party with this one, but I thought some of you might like to see a recent photo sent into me from Japan that a lot of my recent research is focusing in on.

This is the part that is at the center of the controversy related to a swap that some of you are hot to jump into. How many of you can ID it? Has anyone on the list dealt with the problems it poses?

Oil%20Pan-1.jpg

Cheers,

Eric Neyerlin

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, looks like a skyline pan, just from the looks of things, although I've never seen one... (I know, how would you know then? I'm just making an assumption thats how!) I obviously havn't faced a problem with this, but wouldn't mind having such problems... Looks really neat. Do they make one for a Chevy? icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Lone

Okay, I'll take a crack at it...

Could the problem be that the halfshafts will be impossibly too far back, unless the motor is located quite a ways forward?

...or is it just the sump being in the front?

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: TimZ ]

Guest Anonymous

Yes, as most of you seem to know already, it is the fwd differential appended oil pan for the RB26 that makes swapping the most desirable RB26 engine into a S30, somewhat problematic. I thought all of you discussing the RB engine swaps might find that excellent photo very educational.

As some have mentioned, substituting a RB 25 oil pan or your making your own custom pan, are options, but each route can be a big time or money sink hole.

The RB30 bottom end mated to the RB26DETT head, plumbing and controls sounds like the most exciting way to go, but I have it from good authority that route can be less than an easy.

Presently, I am in touch with an Australian 240Z owner having such a combo being built for him in Canada, of all places! (long story-don't ask) I've requested documentation of that project, but have not received anything yet. I'll let you all know if I develop more documentation on that approach to RB swapping.

Thanks for playing ..."guess that part"

Eric Neyerlin

Guest empracing

GTR front diff and pan yeah but whats the prob with the other RB pan replacment we do it all the time in australia i hear its no biggy to do we have jokers here stuffing RB motors in every damn thing like 95 or so s13-14 200sx to bloody toranas ps the RB30 twin cam can also be built with a RB25det head i have an artical on it ill look for it and post more if you want.some say its ezey and makes even na motors sing

Guest Anonymous

empracing,

You may be forgetting that right now those of you in Australia and New Zealand are in the land of RB plenty, but we in the US, are not. Hence, it is very problematic to get ahold of any RB engines, let alone, interchangable engine parts such as spare oil pans from other RB engines.

I am in contact with persons that intend to import several container loads of RB engine "half-cuts", extra pans and the like and new, RB rebuild components, into the US in the future, but due to life's many pressing demands, I doubt that their inventory from Japan will come in until late 2002.

I'd like to get ahold of scans of that article you spoke of for purposes of converting it to text if you are still interested. Contact me directly and I will turn you on to a detailed "how to" page on scanning articles I have already written up for persons that offer. Post me at zparts@jps.net

Thanks,

Eric Neyerlin