HybridZ

Rings or Rebuild?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

is it worth just doing the rings and headgasket instead of a full rebuild? The car is my daily driver but i have a 73 omega as well that I could drive if i had too... (handles like crap.. hehe)

And I want a turbo engine anyway... should I just go for it?

Fraga

I would be apprehensive about dumping money into rebuilding an engine that you want to replace anyway. That said, the turbo swap coule take a while to finish, so it comes down to how long you want to have to drive the omega for. My turbo project is at 16 months or something silly like that.

Also if you are doing the turbo thing with the stock ECU, try to get it all from a car that you know runs, so you can be sure you won't have any unexpected surprises.

I had the same problem a few years ago.. I found a good 2.8 out of a zx for 100$ and just swaped it... If it is a driver this shouldn't be a problem... BTW most of the fuel ingection motors have very little wear even with alot of miles....Good luck

You're in Cali, aka car parts paradise. Just get a cheap used engine and splornk it in there. Don't do a rebuild as a temp solution. Those parts (HG, rings, seals, etc.) are plenty expensive - plus your labor.

One thing to watch out for thoug, I bought a used motor for my Z from a salvage warehouse. Looked great and the price was good (I mean for the East Coast, aka car parts wasteland of despair) and had loooow miles. But it sat for a long time and the guy was up front about it. Basically, sitting for al ong time equals dried out valve seals which is very bad. i found that out the hard way.

Put a junker L28 in there for now and save your dollars and sweat for the turbo....

I forgot about the valve seals,, I probibly still have a set or two in the attic. I used to be really good at changing them... Make sure if the motor hasn't been run in a while lube the cam and followers, also make sure the valves are free. L motors also have a problem with the oil rings sticking...ATF works good for freeing them up. Alot of us have put together cars when we didn't have any money, and the rest of us are just cheep like me....