HybridZ

Need advice! newbie to Z world...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have just purchased a 1973 240z

it has a 280 motor in it but for some reason, it feels like it has no power, it has oil leaks everywhere and it is on a 4 speed tranny. I am inclined to swap the motor out but don't know which one I would get. I want a motor that is reliable as this would be my daily driver, and also have some power around 150-180 maybe. I don't know which set up is best, can someone tell me what to do and how much it would all cost?

Sounds like a 2.8 and 5speed would work best for you. It's possible the motor you've got now just needs tuning and some seals.

Some of us who have swapped in V8 have drivetrains just sitting, perhaps if you filled in the portion of your profile that tells us WHERE you're located one of us could help?

Hrm, for the most fun I'd go with a ZXT drivetrain if you weren't willing to go V8 or Buick GN icon_smile.gif That's more work than a straight 2.8 swap or fixing the current motor. Would be a blast to drive though!

for a daily driver the best is probably a 2800- 5 speed from a 75-78 280z. use the FI as well for better mileage if you dont want to mess with carbs.

if you have carbs and want to stay with them make sure they are NOT the 73 type - get some early 70-71 SU's..

ZXT (turbo) transplants are common and relatively easy to do. all depends how much $$ you want to spend and how fast you want it to be..

anything other than stock L6 should require suspension work and mild brake work.