HybridZ

Almost completed 78 LS1 Z build . Brake booster question .

Regarding testing brakes...

I would if I could but the whole system is worn out so I'm going to replace it all at one time.  All parts I'm buying are OEM (except for the master cyclinder) so all parts are easily replaced at any parts store.  Toyota 4X4 calipers, 300ZX rotors etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the booster replaced today . One word , WOW ! What a big difference the 10" booster makes over the 8" . I'm going keep the stock brakes for now , don't see a reason to upgrade the system . Have to check and see if the auto Z has different linkage ( or pedal set up ) , would like to have the pedal engages a little higher ( maxed out on adjustment ) .

Your old booster might have been worn out.  I upgraded to a 10" booster on my 70, had to redrill to get it to mount.  That was when I figured the old booster must have been shot cause no way the slight increase in booster should make that much different.  Car has toyo 4x4 vented front brakes, 240sx rears, 5/16 ZX MC and braided brake lines.  Yeah, the 240sx rear brakes are a poor match for the 4x4 fronts.  Since you can't put a bias valve in the front brakes you just bypass the rear prop valve and live knowing the fronts will lock before the rears will.

If I had it to do again I would try to get a universal fit dual diaphragm aftermarket unit.  A 10" unit is the largest that will fit on an early Z before it interferes with the clutch MC.  A dual diaphragm unit gives you twice the area and you can get them pretty cheap at Summit.  Might even offer a wider range of MC options.

My 78 Z was a 5 spd car and brake system worked great until i converted to LS1 auto . It required more foot pressure to keep it stationary , in drive , at stops . It braked fine . With 10" booster , it feels like the car is neutral and slows the car down MUCH faster . Could have been a bad MC , but it worked as good as my 83 ZXT before the conversion . I Think the 10" was disigned for auto car .