HybridZ

need help with conversion from 77 to 82

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok I am sort of lost...

I took a 82zx engine and put it into my 77z. I was told not a big deal... Wow was that wrong. Now I am being told the only way to get my car back up and running is to use the wiring harness from the 77. That didnt work here is what I have and what I am tring to do.I am using the 82 fi and afm was going to put the 82 wiring harness and ecu but cant figure out where to go with the wires that go to main harness?????? sort of lost there but the realy odd part is that using the 77 wiring harness I can get it to run using a can of either but not on its own. I have fuel pressure and hooked a poss lead to it to make sure it stayed running due to the 82 afm. now what to do I want my third child back on the road> I had up been driving it up till I deiced to do the swap now I am stuck in my rodeo not a bad suv but come on no zzzzzzzzzz. please help

Daveyz

same car as mine -i have a 77/81zxt car.i actually spent more time on wiring than i did on nut&bolt work.if 82 harness wasnt extracted carefully and tagged with notes written on masking tape you will have trouble.you have to use the turbo ecm to fire the ignition too.i did not cut any wires-i made adaptor plugs with pigtails of harness connectors i got at pick&pull.all connections are soldered & shrink tubed or are oem connectors.the oem 77 fi harness was completly removed.there is a coil/power transistor that you need to run ignition-came from zxt.the only 77 wires for ignition used are key+ and tach.module buy heater was removed.the only place i connected to car harness is at 6slot/5 wire connector under stering column.that is where you get key+,b+,crank+,and connect to wire to trip fuel pump.my ecm is mounted were 77 ecm was and i used the stock fire wall hole for harness.be aware that afm has to be mounted in oem upright position or gate inside will hang up.email address and i can send you copies of wiring diagrams and some pages from nissan zxt supplement book.i could have made money of this if i would have documented it better when i did it.i have a 2 year degree in electronics and i am an ase certified auto tecnician-it still took me awhile.i have had no wiring problems since install-5 years ago.

Davey, not sure how far along you are exactly, but a lot of guys just swap in the motor w/o the fuel injection, unless it is a turbo--then the FI makes much more sense. At this point, if you already have been trying to wire things up and everything else is already bolted in, make sure you get a wiring diagram for both cars--at least, that's what I think you should do. And, email Randy a lot...

Good luck.

Davy