HybridZ

is this a Good price on a l28 short-block?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey Zedz,

I've found a rebuilt l28 (n42) shortblock, to replace my n42 in my '79 280zx. I'm not sure if its been fired, but apparently it has 0 miles on it. I haven't heard of this company, but it has Venolia Turbo Forged pistons. I figure.. most forged pistons are going to be *pretty* good icon_wink.gif

Anyway, the price for the block is 800, and its moderately local so I can pick it up. I can worry about getting a new cam, and getting machinework done on my p90 head later, right now I am just looking for the short block. My compression is bad and I'm sure my pistons/rings are in bad condition. I can use my head to put in later. Also, I'm wondering if the n42 block can be hooked up to the zx turbo from a f54, or would I have to get an f54 block instead? I could find out more information on whether the block was bored etc. I'm just wondering if the block w/ pistons is a worthwhile deal. Thankz in advanze

-980mak

Guest Anonymous

Okay, thanks lone..

My next question is... with these turbo pistons, I figure it is made for turbo applications. Would I be able to use the p90 head & 280zxt turbo applications with an n42 block? Aren't the only differences the cooling passages, or am I wrong? With a good shortblock out of the way (in building up a turbo l28), I've found the hardest piece as far as the engine is concerned. The block was tanked, honed, polished (not ported though icon_rolleyes.gif ).. and milled up top by .010, which is good enough for me icon_smile.gif .

Well, what do you guys think?

Guest Anonymous

Venolia pistons have been around along time, they're comparable to the other quality manufacturers, I'd have no problems suggesting they're use, or using them myself. Forged as you pointed out is usually always good, they should be for the premium they get. icon_smile.gif

Lone