HybridZ

N42/N47 vs. P79 valve height

rreford

Does anyone have specs on valve length of these cylinder heads? I'm looking at shaving a p79 and using the N42/47 valves to keep geometry correct.

Also, anyone know if Bryan Little's 'Datsun Z Garage' site can be found at a new site? All the references I'm finding lead to a dead-end site.

Thanks!

the lengths in mm are:

N42/47 Int: 115.2 Ex: 116.0

P79/P90 Int: 113.1 Ex: 113.9

So about 2mm . I don't believe this is going to help you with shaving the head, i.e. swapping in the longer valves. I'm assuming you're talking about shimming the cam towers to keep the timing chain length/geometry intact. I think you may make up more distance than you need. However, if you were to add a regrind high performance cam at the same time (using the added valve length instead of thicker lash pads that you would need otherwise), then both factors may justify the 2mm distance. If you were to go with the cam, and are on the ridiculous sort of budget I'm on, it looks to me like the Nissan 4cyl Z series head might provide a good alternative, plentiful, valve spring with more pressure than the L series springs. You'd have to check that out to confirm.

DAW