HybridZ

pluging of distributor hole??

KAZU

I replaced entire ignition system of L28. Now the car is running with Ford V6 coil pack. So I don't need the distributor. How can I plug the hole the distributor fitted? I think a freeze plug may work. Did anyone do this?

Regards,

Kazu

--

71z DTA P8Pro but ignition only right now

to plug a hole like this i usually get a gaskit and scribe pattern on to a piece of aluminum plate.kind of a pain but it saves money.how do you like the dtafast unit?i have the sample software on my hard drive and like it.i work at a ford dealer i get free stuff-like the ranger v6 coil pack you have.the distribitor for west coast said he has some older 6 cylinder units in stock-would like to try getting rid of oem nissan injection on my 77/81zxt z.

Distributorless system requires the sensor which detects the crank angle. DTA (and most of OEM EFI) use teethed wheel with missing tooth (or teeth) and magnet sensor.

I made a sensor bracket which is bolted on the front cover. Then the wheel was placed on the front side of the crank pulley. 240z pulley was better because it is a bit smaller than the wheel (about 130mm O.D. ) and it has two tapped holes which can be used for the wheel mounting.

pics of bracket cut by my own CNC machine twak.gif

twheel.jpg

bracket1.jpg

bracket2.jpg

I am tired programming my CNC machine malebitchslap.gif , so the freeze plug idea came out.

The soft is easily understood, better than time confusing EP-ROM programing or SDS, however, I don't have other EFI systems, so I don't know.

I have not installed fuel injection system yet, so the complete impression of the soft will be placed later.

Regards,

Kazu

--

71z DTA P8 Pro, ignition only right now

Guest Anonymous

Thats no small feat, that aluminum alloy (at least thats what it looks like) isn't very easy to cut, at least the thicker pieces. I've messed with it on my bandsaw and then tryed milling with my drill press and cross slide table and it ain't easy. Good job on it. For those who havn't tried cutting the stuff, lets just say it laughs at your average metal cutting jig saw. (It'll cut it, but you better bring a lunch, cause you'll be there a while... icon_wink.gif ).

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

The Datsun timing covers have a support for the dizzy shaft cast into the back of the cover. It supports the shaft just above the crank gear so, if I remember correctly, the shaft won't go anywhere if the distributor is removed.

I have begun totally shaving off the distributor mounting point on a spare timing cover and will fill it for a nice smooth look. The plans do call for a crank-fire system icon_smile.gif

Good point.

The hole near the distributor is loose fit so the spindle shaft may wobble if the distributor removed. The spindle end should be supported by more complicated structure of blanking plug than I thought. If not, the spindle shaft might fail suddenly at high rpm then no oil pressure. Also, cutting the spindle shaft just above the tight hole is good insurance. I will be with distributor just as shaft support for a while and waiting further suggestions icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Kazu

frontcover.jpg

Guest Anonymous

That was my plan: cut the dizzy shaft just above the "tight" support that resides inside the cover. I would never leave that long extension of "loose" shaft spinning around in there bonk.gif

Anyone else got thoughts on this? Perhaps we can come up with a good way to strengthen that lower "tight" support.

all you use for the top of the timing cover is a freeze plug. i cant remember off hand but if its standard or metric but one does fit right in.

you are still using the oilpump as a pump so you dont need to do anything else.

for the bottom what i do is take a old oil pump and use the input flange that the shaft runs in you will need to make a 3/8" thick plate to cover this to bolt the piece of pump up with (and 2 gaskets) this is how we retain the distributor in a motor where its drysumped. the opposite of your problem.

you want the oilpump but not the distributor- i needed the distributor but not the pump itself.

look at some of the L series race motors and you will likely see the plug.

as far as the looseness up top you will have to determine that yourself. most racecars that have no distirbutor have no oilpump so thats not a issue for them.

the top is only holding it close to the gear so it wont have a lot of stress on it will it?

the bottom support is more like a bearing surface.

i'm sure Ross at SDS will know what to do since theyve done a few nissans. guess you shouldnt call them for "support" as you dont have their system though icon_wink.gif

• 6 years later...