HybridZ

408 SBC Z31

Some back story on my car...

I've been doing some research and it seems that most of the people here have used older 300ZX. I found a 1988 N/A for a couple of hundred bucks that I could not let go. Car is an automatic, complete stock until I pulled the engine out a couple of days ago, I bought a four bolt main SBC 400, paired with a TH400 tranny, my plan is to run a single turbo blow though carb set up. 

I don't plan on looking for anything crazy HP related, but I want a fun boosted V8 300ZX to drive around town. Currently the engine is sitting with some stock looking pistons (but bored over 40), they are not high compression for what I can tell, and the heads are 76cc with small valves (annoying to me but that is what 400 bucks got me) .

For now I am trying to find a decent cam that will behave on a daily driver and will perform under boost, I am looking into buying a cam with these specs: 

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:224

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:234

Duration at 050 inch Lift:224 int./234 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration:298

Advertised Exhaust Duration:304

Advertised Duration:298 int./304 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.466 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.487 in.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.466 int./0.487 exh.

Lobe Separation (degrees):114

For what I've seen this is pretty close to what people are using in boosted applications, what are the suggestions here? 

I will post pictures later, its kinda late...

Find out what the true compression is first. Secondly I would stud the heads and run cometic head gaskets if you are sure you are going to be running a boosted application. 400 sbc are a good platform, the bottom end should be good for 500 in stock form. If you are going to be looking for more power I'd get a low compression, forged rotating assembly and stud the mains with a girdle as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies, studs seemed to be a good upgrade for a fair price, I have contemplated the forged rotating assembly but for now its not happening ($$$). I think I'll run the car NA for now just to get it up and running .

The first picture is right before I started taking everything out, the other two are from the first day I got it. I hate to take such a clean car apart but for the money it was the best option available.

post-36074-0-03885400-1367466920_thumb.jpg

post-36074-0-29597000-1367466924_thumb.jpg

post-36074-0-06796000-1367467003_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought a pair of Fel Pro 1004 head gaskets a while back. The guy that sold them to me told me that they would work on a SBC 400 bored over 40, come to find out they are the exact same size as the one that came with the Fel Pro full gasket set (8364 PT Gasket) AND they DON'T have steam holes. 

My question is, the 8364 is the same size as the block cylinder, should I run those gaskets or should I buy a set of Fel Pro 1014s?

Thanks!! 

Gorge

• 5 months later...

I got the car up and running (N/A engine), and found out I have to move overseas in a couple of months. I need to sell it before leaving but the forum won't let me post a for sale thread, if anyone is interested let me know, I'm asking $4k obo 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not in the market for another car, but the problem listing your car in the classifieds may be that you have to be a "donating member." If you are not a donating member, go to the "donate" link and follow instructions from there. It costs $20 thru Paypal. Then you should be able to post add. It took me a while to figure out. But you won't sell your car if no one knows it is for sale.