HybridZ

Technical question

Guest Anonymous

If you are getting "white" smoke that means that you are getting coolant into the cylinders. If it was oil, you would be getting "blue" smoke. The white smoke would also have the "sweet" smell of antifreeze. Could have been leaking though the head gasket, makes sense if your head was warped. If you wanted to try a different head then I would use one that was either a p90 or a p79. Any other head and I think your compression would be getting a little high to a turbo.

Guest Anonymous

Hi everyone,

I have had great luck with the chevy board, so was now hoping for the same from you guys. My brother is too shy to ask for help, so I'm doing it for him. Here is the scoop

He has a regular nissan 280zx 1982 car. He took his straight six out and replaced it with a friends. The friend put dished pistons. My brother had my turbo head planed by .08 inches. Now my brother has my old turbo on as well, well when he put the planed head and the other block(the one with dished pistons) the car wouldn't idle worth crap, and produced a great deal of White smoke. We pulled the head, and took it to a machine shop. They said it wasn't cracked, and that it had bad exhaust guides. The head is warped, and it can't be shaved down they said since it is already past the specs.

The question is this. We have another head, Non turbo head, and he want's to know what he should do. He is so pissed at it he is thinking about selling it, and I don't want him to do that. He just got done painting it and it is really nice. So does anyone know what would cause the smoke, and the rough idling? When gas is given it would spool the turbo up great and run nice, with the shaved/warped head.

Hope this isn't too confusing, and thank you for all the info. I gotta get him happy, it's not nice having a pissy brother, as well as a pissy room mate.

Sean

Guest Anonymous

It sounds to me maybe like bad rings? I don't know that much about internals, but it kinda makes sense to me, oil is getting past the rings, causing your white smoke. under compression, your probably getting blow-by past the rings, but with the turbo spooled up, you have enough compression that it still runs pretty good.

Now don't take my word for this, but it is just my $.02 As for the head, I don't really know, depending on what head you have, It could work, though you would have to watch for detonation, as I suspect that it would raise your compression.

Just some thoughts,

Kris