HybridZ

No ECCS Green light nor fuel pump priming

I did all the shit.  I have no green light and the fuel pump will not prime.  Relay is mounted to passenger washer nozzle screw. Relay is grounded to copper AC line bolt below hood latch support on the fire wall.  Ran branch wire off of green wire on efi relay to green bullet connector behind passenger seat, I did nothing with the black wire and nothing with the original green wire that was plugged in. Just added bullet to my wire and plugged it in.  Black and green wire at 8 pin ZXT harness under drivers dash are grounded to the same hood release cable bracket bolt.

One of the yellow and white wires off of 8 pin zxt is spliced and soldered into black and yellow striped ignition wire.

Other yellow and white wire on 8 pin zxt under the dash goes out to the ignitor.

Blue and red wire are plugged into 6 pin harness from relay.

black and white relay wire are connected at + on battery terminal

Whoa shit as I write this in my garage I just noticed my coil stunk, and it was hotter than hell.  I just had my ignition on to listen to the radio.

Think I smoked the coil?

Have you replaced the coil ? It's not a good idea to leave key turn to on position without the engine running for too long . I had a Honda came in my shop for a no start . She accidentally left the key on over night , it took out the ECM . Have seen coils go bad or cooked like yours when key left on too long , that energy has to go somewhere ( spark ) . That's why ignition switch has two positions , acc. and on .

Edited by Domzs

I'm going to take another run at this problem this weekend.  I'd like a little guidance otherwise it is going to get hauled to a shop on a wrecker.  If anyone can get me going down the right path, I'd really appreciate it.  If you need more information from me to help you help me, I am all ears and effort.

Need info on your car . What's missing other no fuel prime ? Getting any spark or injector pulse ?

No spark either.  Just pulled plug 6 and held it to the head and cranked it. Nothing.  I don't have the fuel rail done yet thus the injectors are just sitting in the intake bosses.  What is the MO for testing the coil and or ignitor?

Had similar problem with my 83 turbo awhile back , way before LS1 conversion . Had no fuel prime and spark . Was an intermitten problem . And it was hard to diag. due to lack of time between no start and start . I replaced the ECM , it was cheap ( free ) . ECM fixed my problem . Check with FSM for testing .

With a new 9v battery and my multi meter set on 200k I have 9 ohms on the secondary circuit.  Ignitor is 1.8 and I am having a hell of time getting anything on the primary circuit of the coil, it jumps everywhere and then goes to 0.

Even cleaning the contacts on the primary circuits I cannot get the ohm meter to hold any number. I tried different settings with the meter with no change.  I'd have to believe it would be "0" if it was bad right?

It'd be nice to have auto range meter . Are you sure you're testing it right ? What are you testing , coil or transitor ? You need to be in ECCS section . You haven't mentioned any info on your car , what year are we working on ?

Look at EL-34 for spec. on turbo coil . Sec. should have very high reading ( in Kohm ) . To check primary : put your test leads on + and - posts . Test sec. : one test lead to + and other to coil wire output .

I did both of those. The section I used has the specs for both NA and turbo ignition systems. As I mentioned when testing on primary. The multi meter was erratic. I was going to test primary on my old NA coil and see if is the meter, because my ignition system was fine on my old engine.

I jumped the fuel pump relay earlier and got it to prime. Which colored wire do off of the fuel pump relay needs to make the loop to the 280z female ignition harness plug as seen on CyngnusX1 diagram?

On Cygnus diagram he does not have the wire colors listed and his zxt female plug does not correspond with Plug 2 on the colored diagram for wire arrangement. Where he has the wire off of zxt female going to the fuel pump harness then to Pin 16 is listed as neutral safety switch on the colored diagram. The "how to" says to ground this wire, which is it?

Edited by Ben's Z