HybridZ

Car sat for over a year...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The car was in cherry condition before I stopped driving it. I got it running over the week-end and it runs like crap. I know the gas has to be a problem so I filled (deluted) it with new stuff. It sat with 3/4 tank and evaperated to 1/4 tank.

It idles ok, but skips ever so often. With no load revs it runs ok, but it will still pop and backfire a bit. It will not high rev (up to 5500 for example). Under heavy load (normal driving conditions) it runs like crap, popping and missing like crazy icon_confused.gif

I have replaced the plugs and wires. I thought about replacing the fuel filter (brain fart), would this be they only thing needed? Would the bad fuel and popping cause my injectors to blow? Does this sound like a fuel problem or could it be something else. The symtoms reminded me about my 79' that ran too lean. How long does it usually take for bad fuel to flush out? Why is the sky blue? icon_biggrin.gif

Let me know what you think.. I miss my car icon_sad.gif

Nic

nbucholz@imageworksarch.com

It's tough to say where the problem lies exactly, but you know it's either fuel supply or ignition. I think I would make sure I topped it off with premium unleaded, including a can of injector cleaner/gas dryer. As your fuel evaporated, it left air in the metal tank. With temperature changes, condensation of water content of that air formed water droplets on the walls of the tank which streamed down, pulled by gravity, towards the tank bottom. Once those droplets hit the fuel level on their way down, their fate was determined. Since the aqueous phase (water droplets) is more dense than the organic phase (gasoline), there will be a growing pond of water at the bottom of your fuel tank that cannot and will not evaporate since it is topped by a layer of fuel.

I would consider draining your tank (most have a drain plug) before refilling with fuel, and I would go ahead and change the fuel filter as it may be gummed up by now.

Take a quick look inside the distributor cap and make sure there's not a lot of condensation and corrosion, and I'd recommend investing in one of those testers, such as sold by NAPA stores, which have a ground clip on one end and a spark plug connector on the other, and an adjustable gap in between which is set according to car type. If the ignition system is up to snuff, a spark will jump the gap. Good luck, and next year put a can of fuel stabilizer in the gas tank when you park it. I should heed my own advice, I have five untreated cars outside covered with snow and five cans of fuel stabilizer on the shelf in the garage.

DAW

Guest Anonymous

My old Silver Z got in the habit of sitting a lot.After a few years ,it just would not run right. I took off the gas cap and it ran like it was a kid again. Apparently the fuel vapor lines /tank became plugged with a little constipation. I have not tried an enema on it since it is easier to loosen the gas cap and run it a few miles to take out the kinks aand pump some adrenalin to the battery. A suggestion not to take quite literally

Guest Anonymous

Wow DAW, you write some smooth messages, I was on the edge of my seat through the

"Since the aqueous phase (water droplets) is more dense than the organic phase (gasoline)" part!

I'm kidding but it was a well writen message, but yeah DAW is right, probably sucking up some water, they'll cut out and do all sorts of funky things, between that and maybe some rust fell into the "aqueous phase" and has plugged a filter or worse an injector or two. icon_sad.gif

Regards,

Lone

ljohnson has a good point about the venting system, all kinds of things can happen, including insects thinking a vent hose would be a great place for metamorphasis and leaving it blocked with a pupae or some such thing. I had an antique airplane for many years that I kept outside. One spring I took off and I was acutely aware that something had happened over the hibernation period because I had no airspeed indicator! Lots of potential for mishap without that gauge. Cause? The bug/metamorphasis thing going on in my pitot tube. Plus, they would constantly do that in the drain petcock of my fuel filter bowl so they don't mind gasoline fumes. Strange things can happen.

DAW

Guest Anonymous

Man, I thought you guys forgot about me. No body has resoponded in a while.

shifty.gifshifty.gif

Well, I got it running. Added new fuel and cleaner/ water remover. Threw on a new filter (big help!!!)It sputtered up until yesterday morning. icon_biggrin.gif Now it runs quick and smooth. Still a little putting action on the low end though. I'm thinking there may still be water in the fuel. I also cleaned all the connectors (i.e. sensors, injector harnesses) found all of them to be broken, curroded, one was missing some plastic icon_sad.gif But never the less, it's on the street zipp'n through traffic and scream'n round corners. It feels good to pass an M3. icon_biggrin.gif

I know it should not have sat without gas treatment twak.gif But I had no Idea this little project would take almost 2 years. I learned my lesson. Never talk to strangers....no....always plan ahead.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Thankx for all you help!! 2thumbs.gif

Nic