HybridZ

Fan Clutch

Guest Russ240z

Guest Russ240z

I just bought an all original '72 240z. It's the first Z I've had with the original engine. The fan runs all the time. Sounds like an airplane that wants to fly... is this normal?

Guest Anonymous

Your original fan clutch (if equipped on your model) wore out and began slipping. Someone may have attached it solidly to the pulley to prevent overheating. My 280 Z is this way but every one thinks it is turbocharged and there is no overheatng.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Russ240z

I finally got around to rebuilding my fan clutch. Piece of cake. Pulled it off and removed the four bolts, opened it up and there it was. 30 year old congealed gear oil glued to the internals. Brake cleaner wasn't enough so I let it sit in "gunk" for an hour, then used the brake cleaner again and compressed air to dry. A friend recommended I put in a small amount of lacquer thinner to expand the o-ring. On the initial test run it was still stuck; whlie accelerating in 2nd it finally broke free...scared the crap out of me. The engine slipped and eveything got quiet. There goes the clutch I thought. Keep in mind every since I've had the car it sounded like a turbo prop airplane. It is such a pleasure to drive now. :D