HybridZ

alternators upgrade question 75 280z

Just curious if there's a con to just going and buying a refurbished  beck/arnley alternator from advance Auto. I know the 280zx swap is very common but there seems to be a lot of rewiring.

Would you have to do the same rewiring if you went with the Beck/Arnley or is it just plug and play.  Also I would assume the Beck/Arnley has a more upgrade would have the built in solid-state voltage regualtor or is it built exactly like the stock 280z that requires the use of the external mechanical voltage regulator?

I had just gone through the same issue when thinking I had a bad alternator.   I come to find out that I had a newer reman alternator and had also assumed it would be a modern internal reg unit but it was not.  It still would have to use the VR so unless you do the ZX swap you would have to get a external reman unit.  

Also as far as the wiring goes we lucked out having a 75 which only comes with 5 wires at the connection to the VR and not the 6 wire which has that extra wire we need to cut off power when the car is off and wont drain the battery...  So there would be a little extra work needed to do the swap for this year.    If your VR checks out just get a cheap reman and call it a day.  GL!