HybridZ

dual S.U.'s vs. dual weber dgv's

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have dual weber dgv's on my car right now, the linkage is all screwed up and they definatly need to be gone thru and rebuilt. I have a pair of 1970 datsun su's, any recomendation's on carbs? I like the su's because they are sidedraft and the webers are downdraft. If anyone has anything to say please give me some info. thanks

I had Weber DGV's on my 260Z--they were great at WOT, but were not the greatest carbs otherwise. Some guys may hate me for saying this, but I would take SU's over the DGV's. Also, I think my car was getting between 8 and 13 miles per gallon--maybe my fault for improperly tuning them, but I drove the car with a lead foot.

Davy

My original 240z had downdraft webers that were okay but I was always complaining to my mechanic about lack of "snap." He recommended I go back to the original round top SUs. I'm glad I did because I would never go back to the dual downdraft setup. The SUs are quicker and have no problems running up to redline. Also, you can find a pair in good shape for a reasonable price >$300 with are filter, linkage, and intake.

I say go for the SUs!!!

SUs get my vote too. I've had both setups and the SUs are a lot more driveable. Check out the mini manifolds/adapters between the DGVs and the Z manifold. It curves down then up again like a sump in a sink drain and that can't be good for fuel delivery. There's a lot you can do to power tune SUs (more than just putting in "SM" needles).

One place the Webers have it over the SUs is in the cold start: two accelerator pumps and butterfly valves vs none.

DAW