HybridZ

Crane XR 700 installation

I am installing the Crane XR700 ignition kit that I bought some time ago in my '72 240Z (man. trans.)  Engine is very stock, with apparently the OEM distributor (marked D612-53, which is not mentioned in any of my repair manuals), but all emissions control equipment was removed by the previous owner.  Some questions re: the installation procedure:

1.  Should the ground wire ("earth lead") that goes from the base of the old breaker points to the distrib. base (screw adjacent to the cap retaining clip) be removed?  Instructions call for remove everything, and I'm guessing this ground wire is no longer needed, but not sure.

2.  Which of the 2 available 6-slot optical discs is perferable to install?  Both seem extremely tight (socket and mallet needed to "tap" into place), and it looks like, once installed, there's no removing the disc without breaking the plastic.

3.  What is the correct timing for this car, given that the emissions control stuff has been removed?  Factory setting calls for 5 deg. BTDC at 750 RPM for an emission-controlled engine, but my manuals say that it should be 17 deg. BTDC at 650 RPM in a non-emission controlled engine.

4.  I'm assuming the correct "static timing" can be set by:

a.  rotating crank so the #1 cylinder compression stroke is set at the proper idle speed advance (either 5 deg or 17 deg BTDC) using the notches on the crank pulley and the indicator arrow on the engine block.

b.  rotating the body of the distrib. so that the tip of the rotor points directly at the #1 spark plug lead wire terminal.

c.  then, slide the optical sensor for the XR700 in a clockwise direction until the optical sensor hits one of the six slots in the rotator disc, triggering the LED test light on the control box.

d.  tighten all screws to hold this position

e.  start engine, warm up, remove vacuum advance tube, and check the timing with a strobe light.  Again, which amount of spark advance would be correct?

Thanks for your help.