HybridZ

Drag strip 6/15

Not much to report other than running consistent 11.1's @123. 2500' DA 

Haven't had time to get the car dialed in. Only made 4 passes this weekend, and got told to slow down......or rather to "shut the bottle off" lol. I (regrettably) didn't make a hit on the bottle. :(

Here's the vid.  Bad 60', and the tires started to shake. My MT ET Drags went to shit, and were impossible to balance. Not sure what to do about it......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6PoT1JTqqY

piss on it, i cant get it to embed.

Edited by SUNNY Z

You've been run off several times...any plans for at least a 6-pt rollbar? I can't wait for you to get the green light and lay down some new times. Kind of sucks you are held back by a couple pounds of non-moveable steel bars! Kind of like having a date with a real hottie; you buy dinner, suffer thru a chick flick, then you get the old "I have a headache!" And you are driving how far to get to the track? But I'm really happy for you that the axles are good to go. I'm so ready for you to post a timeslip in the 9s.

You've been run off several times...any plans for at least a 6-pt rollbar? I can't wait for you to get the green light and lay down some new times. Kind of sucks you are held back by a couple pounds of non-moveable steel bars! Kind of like having a date with a real hottie; you buy dinner, suffer thru a chick flick, then you get the old "I have a headache!" And you are driving how far to get to the track? But I'm really happy for you that the axles are good to go. I'm so ready for you to post a timeslip in the 9s.

I hear ya there keith! My buddy ran an 10.30 with his 03 cobra, and no one said a word. I'm guessing its because he has dark tint.

I'm planning on putting in probably a 10 point with swing outs. I don't really have the 1-2K to drop on one at the moment though.

Edited by SUNNY Z

You might get away with just a sissy bar like mine?? These AutoPower style rollbars would be super easy to replicate for a couple hundred. It is just the idea of doing a 30% solution that is bugging me. I'm holding out till winter then going for the full roll cage just to be done with it. I'm gonna do full door bars (keeping them pretty low) just because I have enough to do to get the car ready for the track just changing tires and loading up.

The Video is really good and enjoyed it.  Concerned about the tire shake as there might be some rear end wrap up or maybe just the MT ET Drag tires.  A pre-constructed Roll Cage is $800 just for the materials. Should not cost $2000.00 or perhaps anywhere near it.  Keep up the good fun.

The Video is really good and enjoyed it.  Concerned about the tire shake as there might be some rear end wrap up or maybe just the MT ET Drag tires.  A pre-constructed Roll Cage is $800 just for the materials. Should not cost $2000.00 or perhaps anywhere near it.  Keep up the good fun.

I have some exterior video, but this was just to priceless not to be its own.  My ET Drags are screwed for some reason. They were starting to shake there, as i got out of i

The 2,000 mark would be for a full chrome moly 8.50 cert cage. Probably closer to 12-1500, but 2k is just a number.

Spinning like mad! Saw your Shatokans for sale: going to 10"(or more) slicks? Feeling like testing those CVs with some DRs?

If you look at the pictures, you'll see where we indexed them right before the track. They are spinning on the rim. I'll be using rim screws on the next set i think. 

Studied video:  that car has such a CLEAN interior, you've really done a great job on an aspect of the car that I just can't find time or energy for.  You look very relaxed lounging in your office. Sucks that if a bottle is present it is always assumed to be open.  Based on ColtGt45's input, I screwed my slicks from the get go.  The tire shake was clear on the video-well shot!  Could that just be an out of balance condition from the tire slipping on the rim? -it sometimes takes a lot of weight to balance my slicks.  I have to admit I don't know much about tire shake.  What psi were you inflated to?  I've only seen videos of tire shake at the slow end of the track-again, more to learn.  The guys who think drag racing is simple have just never tried to do it well!  Obviously your estimate for a cage is accurate, as it will have to fit like a glove to satisfy you.  I'm hoping to spank a 7.20 1/8-mile SBC/T350 280z this Friday at Lawrenceburg, TN-dude had a $200 mild steel rollbar made locally, eager to see the quality, but it will depend on getting some repairs done-him no front brake pressure and me a new noise in the rear suspension.  I'm expecting $2-3k as I'm gonna be taking it to a place in Birmingham that specializes in IT cars (Kirk Racing).  Like you, I wanna do it right and do it once, then move on to making power and traction.

SUNNYS:

Look at http://betamotorsports.com/products/products.php?cat=7 for Professionally built by Kirk Racing Roll Cages.  Tires need to be ROUND without flat spots and have the same amount of material all the way around.  The rim or wheel also needs to be checked, less the tire, with a dial gauge when mounted on the vehicle to make certain it is completely ROUND.  Wheel hop due to differential wrap up, differential twisting against rotation under load, could also be a possibility.

I hated running slicks personally, running 255/60-15 Mickey Thompson drag radials. Drive it to the track and home with several 9.7X passes. The best tire for your buck!

Your ride sounds great by the way!

Edited by Zfan1