HybridZ

Looking for some advice

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey everyone im new to the Z car family, im so happy i finnaly found an informative welcomeing site you guys have an awesome thing going on here.

anyways i just bought a 280zx

i want to put a little bit better motor in it because i know the stock one is not going anywhere fast

i would think the obvious choice would be to buy the 280 zxt motor ??? does this sound like a good plan ??? if so where would i pick one up i cant seem to find any on the internet for sale and i want a low mileage healthy motor if i buy it.

any suggestions on other routes to get the car going a bit faster are welcome

thanks

jon

Jon good to have you here. It is aways good to add more ZX's in here. Sometimes it feels like the 280zx is the forgotten z.

If you are looking for used parts, try www.car-part.com . However, the easiest thing to do would be to buy a running zxt with a bad body and scavenge all the parts from it. Or you could always go v8. Or you could go with the turbo v6 from a 84-89 300zx. That would set the center of gravity of the engine farther back and may even be lighter than the L6. Two things that would help your car handle better. (Plus, I have always thought this would be a cool swap.)

Finally you could keep your NA L6 and build it for more power. There are a couple guys here making monster power with these motors.

You may want to check the following:

Jim Cook Racing

Motorsport Auto (MSA)

Jags That Run (JTR)

Hope some of this helps.

Guest Anonymous

thank you very much

i wish i could find a turbo model with a bad body and just buy it but there are none around so i think i just have to order the engine ???

it would be cool to have huge power from a v8 or the newer 300 zx but i kind of want to keep the motor that came in the car and fits perfectly

anyone else have any opinions for me ???

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Well, it's hard to address your question. How much work and how much money do you want to spend to make that big ZX go fast? How fast do you want it to go? A cheap way would be to put in a turbo, change head to P90, change exhuast manifold, re-pipe intake through inter cooler and bump up fuel pressure. A more $ way would be to put in 5.0L ford with blower and a bunch of other stuff. If you want to go faster you mite want to get 4 fat chicks out of your car, drop 800 pounds or so and get a 240Z to build up. If you can do the work you can save a lot of $.

Billy